Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.

EII GigE camera support

Misty
Novice

Hi, I'm relatively new to Linux and programming. I was wondering how can I get my Daheng GigE camera to work for Video Ingestion.

I have the SDK installed separately from the VI Dockerfile. With the GENTL path and GENICAM env variable changed for my gentl_producer_env.sh and docker-compose.yml respectively. Yet it is not picking up from the camera.

I have tried it with a Basler camera and it works fine. The User Manual does not provide more detailed information on how to use the COPY and RUN instructions for the Dockerfile, I have no clue on how to do it.

I'm currently using Daheng MER-131-75GC, with the config.json set to its serial.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Misty
Novice

I have just upgraded my EII from 2.4.2 to 2.5 and my Daheng camera works now.

I have yet to try the Dalsa camera, I'll update as soon as I do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ReX_TeCH
New Contributor I

Hi @Misty 

Hope you are doing well, thanks for posting your query.

Hope this information helps : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEsqjqJWXa4 

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

ReX_TeCH
(Independent Advisor)

0 Kudos
Misty
Novice

Hi ReX_TeCH, my Daheng camera is working fine and it is showing up on the Galaxy View SDK. My issue now is that it is not working for my Video Ingestion for Edge Insights Industrial.

0 Kudos
WengWai_C_Intel

@Misty 

By default, EII is supporting common GigE camera directly without the need to install the SDK unless there are some specific features that you need and provided only by the SDK driver. Therefore, my suggestion is first to use the EII default common GigE support to establish the video ingestion pipeline. Can you share what is the gstreamer pipeline configuration that you have used for your video ingestion setup?

0 Kudos
Misty
Novice

Hi @WengWai_C_Intel, I have currently left my gencam serial and pixel format empty as shown below:

"type": "gstreamer",
"pipeline": "gencamsrc serial= pixel-format= ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=BGR ! appsink"

I have tried with a Basler camera with both fields left out and it works, however it is not the same for my Daheng camera. For the Daheng camera, I have tried with and without the serial number, pixel format left out, set to mono8, and set to bayerrggb ! bayer2rgb separately and it still wouldn't work.

I have tried the default GenTL path (Matrix Vision), and it only works for the Basler camera. I have tried using the Matrix SDK and the Galaxy View (Daheng SDK) path and it does not work for the Daheng camera.

Below is the Datasheet for the Daheng camera I am using, feel free to contact me for more info, I'll be glad to provide.

https://www.daheng-imaging.com/upload/accessory/MER-131-75GM-C-Datasheet-EN_V19.09.29.pdf

0 Kudos
WengWai_C_Intel

@Misty The serial number of the camera  in the pipeline config can be ignored for now assuming you only have 1 camera being used for the video ingestion. While for the pixel format, it should be configured according to your camera. Can you try the pipeline below and let us know the result?

1) From you description above, can you confirm below is the pipeline configuration you have tested and it wouldn't work?

"pipeline": "gencamsrc pixel-format=bayerrggb ! bayer2rgb ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=BGR ! appsink"

2) Can you test your camera with the pipeline below? 

"pipeline": "gencamsrc pixel-format=bayerbggr ! bayer2rgb ! videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=BGR ! appsink"

Feel free to loop back after test with your camera. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Misty
Novice

Hi @WengWai_C_Intel,

Regarding the questions you have asked, my setup only is connected to one camera at a time. I keep switching in between a Basler camera, a Daheng camera, and a Dalsa camera. So far only the Basler works fine with or without the serial number included in the config.json. The other brands don't.

1) Yes, I have tried the pipeline and it does not work.

2) I have tried this one as well and it still would not work.

I would really much would want the other cameras to work with EII, I hope you can assist me on this one, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Haizad_Intel

Hi! @Misty ,

We will contact you to provide further assistance.

0 Kudos
Haizad_Intel

Hi! @Misty,

We tested Daheng camera MER-531-20GC-P and it worked fine with the default configuration. Refer the attached image.

Please check your VideoIngestion and VideoAnalytics config and make sure you set the udfs "name" as dummy 

You can also try to do fresh install of EII and try the VideoIngestion with your Daheng camera

0 Kudos
Misty
Novice

Hi @Haizad_Intel ,

Thank you for the reply, I have just tried your suggestion and even copying your config and it still wouldn't work. I have tried using a fresh install of EII, and I have also changed the VA and VI udfs name to dummy. I have even tried it with both ingestor type opencv and gstreamer.

Would there be other things that I need to change in order for other cameras to work? So far only Basler camera works fine. I hope you can assist me on this, thank you.

0 Kudos
Misty
Novice

I have just upgraded my EII from 2.4.2 to 2.5 and my Daheng camera works now.

I have yet to try the Dalsa camera, I'll update as soon as I do.

0 Kudos