Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.

EII package install failed

Neena_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am getting the following error message: 

Failed to provision secrets to vault.

Failed to install eii_installer took 2 minutes 10.17 seconds

Please see attached logs from my terminal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
WengWai_C_Intel

@Neena_M_Intel 

Upon investigation on your setup, the failure was due to the provisioning script issue a command to read the timezone and the result being return came with an additional warning message that corrupted the .env file. Therefore, the provisioning steps failed and showing an error "Failed to provision secrets to vault". Once the warning message being removed, then it can be build successfully. Although this is something abnormal on this particular machine as the standard command to read the timezone from the system with additional warning message, but we have captured this scenario and see if anything can be done from EII to avoid similar issue if encounter the same system behavior. So, your EII system is good to go now.

Hope these information help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Neena_M_Intel,

May I know if this is a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install or did you have a previous version installed on the OS? Looking at the logs, it looks like you have PyYAML version 3.12 installed and the installer is unable to remove it. Could you try removing it manually and installing PyYAML version 5.4.

pip3 install PyYAML==5.4

Once the correct PyYAML version is installed, try running the installation once more.

./edgesoftware install

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Neena_M_Intel
Employee

Hi, I don't have access to the physical system. hence, cannot start from a fresh OS install. I tried to uninstall PyYaml. However, got the following message:

Found existing installation: PyYAML 3.12
ERROR: Cannot uninstall 'PyYAML'. It is a distutils installed project and thus we cannot accurately determine which files belong to it which would lead to only a partial uninstall.

Tried a few suggestions from StackOverflow unsuccessfully. Also, tried updating it with pip force reinstall. The edgesoftware CLI still fails. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Neena_M_Intel
Employee

I uninstalled Python and then installed it back by following the instructions here . Then tried the command 'edgesoftware install'. Still getting the same error. Let me know if I can provide any other logs.

Failed to provision secrets to vault.
Failed to install eii_installer took 1 minutes 39.85 seconds
Installation of package complete
+--------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+
| Id | Module | Status |
| 5f21392e9e63c9002a6fd88d | Docker Community Edition CE | SUCCESS |
| 5f213aae9e63c9002a6fd88e | Docker Compose | SUCCESS |
| 5face41098a1ef002af292fd | eii installer | FAILED |

0 Kudos
Neena_M_Intel
Employee

Forgot to mention that my PyYAML version is 5.4 now

pip show pyyaml
Name: PyYAML
Version: 5.4
Summary: YAML parser and emitter for Python
Home-page: https://pyyaml.org/
Author: Kirill Simonov
Author-email: xi@resolvent.net
License: MIT
Requires:
Required-by:

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Neena_M_Intel,

Could you please provide the install.log file? It should located under the /var/log/esb-cli/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.4.2/eii_installer/ directory.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
WengWai_C_Intel

@Neena_M_Intel 

Upon investigation on your setup, the failure was due to the provisioning script issue a command to read the timezone and the result being return came with an additional warning message that corrupted the .env file. Therefore, the provisioning steps failed and showing an error "Failed to provision secrets to vault". Once the warning message being removed, then it can be build successfully. Although this is something abnormal on this particular machine as the standard command to read the timezone from the system with additional warning message, but we have captured this scenario and see if anything can be done from EII to avoid similar issue if encounter the same system behavior. So, your EII system is good to go now.

Hope these information help.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

0 Kudos