Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

ESDQ 5.0 on ElKhart Lake Platform

Funway
Beginner

Dear Sirs

We run ESDQ 5.0 on Elkhart lake platform and there are many failed items . Could you have some suggestions for failed  items ? 

Best Regards

Funway

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Xiang_Intel

Hi Funway,

Just a piece of follow-up information, you can enable the HEVC VDEnc on your platform by following the steps below.

Media sdk sample encode test failed with the message: 

“ERROR], sts=MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED(-3),…"  

Follow the steps below as a possible solution: 

sudo apt install --reinstall linux-firmware 
Add i915.enable_guc=2  in /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.force_probe=* i915.enable_guc=2" 
sudo update-initramfs –u 
sudo update-grub 
Reboot the system.
After reboot, execute the command:  dmesg | grep guc
Verify the logs for guc information. If output doesn't contain guc details, then get the latest guc/huc firmware. Copy the firmware to /lib/firmware/i915/, and reboot the system.

This will help to enable the HEVC VDEnc on your platform and rerun the test again. The “mediasdk_sample_encode_with_h265” test case should be able to run successfully.

Do let me know if there is still issue after you run these changes and do help me to accept as solution if this help to fix the issue.

Xiang Yang

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway,

What version of numpy and protobuf do you have installed? Could you try to install version protobuf 3.17.3 and numpy 1.19.5 and re-run the tests?

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

hi Jesus

We try your suggestion to install version protobuf 3.17.3 and numpy 1.19.5, but it doesn't worked. Please find the test report as attached and the fail items of test result are the same as last week. 

Do you think the fail items are occurred from the poor support of Ubuntu to Elkhart Lake platform or graphic unit?

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos
Xiang_Intel

Hi Funway,

I do experience the same issue on ehl platform before. It is due to the graphic drivers is not installed.

Can you provide me the device’s PCI ID on your EHL platform?

You can do this via running the command below:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

In the meantime, you can also install the required graphics drivers by following the commands below,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:intel-opencl/intel-opencl

sudo apt update

sudo apt install -y libze-loader libze-intel-gpu intel-opencl-icd

Best regards,

Lim Xiang Yang

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Lim Xiang Yang & Jesus

We install the latest Ubuntu image for Intel IoT platform (https://ubuntu.com/download/iot/intel-iotg) and intel graphic driver to run ESDQ 5.0. The failed item of ESDQ 5.0 test is reduced, but “mediasdk_sample_multi_transcode with h264 and mpeg2” and “mediasdk_sample_encode with h265” still test fail and need your help to find the solution. please find the attached file for test report. 

Best regards

Funway

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway,

What driver version did you install for the GPU? I am testing on a tiger lake system as I don't have access to an Elkhart Lake system, I'll need to reach out to my peers for assistance.

Also, I installed Ubuntu 20.04 from the link above that is using kernel 5.13.0-1007-intel (same as yours) and all the tests passed on my system (tigerlake).

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway,

Apologies for the delay, we are still working with the engineering team to root cause the issue.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Jesus

I appreciated your time and effort.

Could let me know the roughly schedule for this issue? thanks.

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos
pw2
Novice

Hi Jesus

I am Jason. I also installed the latest Ubuntu image for Intel IoT platform and intel graphic driver to run ESDQ 5.0 on Elkhart lake platform, but “mediasdk_sample_multi_transcode with h264 and mpeg2” and “mediasdk_sample_encode with h265” still test fail.

Regards

Jason

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway/Jason,

The engineering team is still debugging the issue, I will share additional information as soon as I hear back.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Jesus

Do you get any update from engineer?

Or could you provide the schedule to me?  

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway,

Apologies for the delay. The engineering team has determined the issue is not in the ESDQ software stack but specific to MediaSDK. Currently, they are reaching out to the MediaSDK team to further debug the issue. I don't have a timeline to share at this time.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Jesus

Thanks for update. 

This issue will be moved to MediaSDK team as you mentioned, so the contact windows will be changed either?

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Funway,

I will continue to provide updates through this discussion since you are using the ESDQ software package. I appreciate your patience while we look into this issue.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Jesus

Do you have any update for this issue?

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

hi JesusE

There are four fail items when running the ESDQ 6.0 on the Elkhart Lake platform.  I attach the photo for information and fail items.

B/R

Funway

0 Kudos
Xiang_Intel

Hi Funway,

Sorry for getting you back late.

A hotfix version of ESDQ 6.1 is released to address the issue. Can you try it on your EHL platform?

You can find it at the link below,
ESDQ 6.1: https://software.intel.com/iot/edgesoftwarehub/download/home/esdq_vision

Documentation:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/edge-software-device-qualification-vision.html

Also, it is a known limitation that sample “mediasdk_sample_encode_with_h265” test case will fail if the target platform do not have HEVC VDEnc enabled.

Thanks and regards,

Lim Xiang Yang

0 Kudos
Xiang_Intel

Hi Funway,

Just a piece of follow-up information, you can enable the HEVC VDEnc on your platform by following the steps below.

Media sdk sample encode test failed with the message: 

“ERROR], sts=MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED(-3),…"  

Follow the steps below as a possible solution: 

sudo apt install --reinstall linux-firmware 
Add i915.enable_guc=2  in /etc/default/grub: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.force_probe=* i915.enable_guc=2" 
sudo update-initramfs –u 
sudo update-grub 
Reboot the system.
After reboot, execute the command:  dmesg | grep guc
Verify the logs for guc information. If output doesn't contain guc details, then get the latest guc/huc firmware. Copy the firmware to /lib/firmware/i915/, and reboot the system.

This will help to enable the HEVC VDEnc on your platform and rerun the test again. The “mediasdk_sample_encode_with_h265” test case should be able to run successfully.

Do let me know if there is still issue after you run these changes and do help me to accept as solution if this help to fix the issue.

Xiang Yang

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Xiang Yang

Our Elkhart platform pass all items under ESDQ. I attach the test report. if you have any suggestion, please let me know.

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos
Xiang_Intel

Hi Funway,

It will not have any issue for “mediasdk_sample_encode_with_h265” if HEVC VDEnc is enabled on your platform.

Can I ask for your help to accept as a solution if no further issues/questions from your end?

Thanks and regards,

Xiang Yang

0 Kudos
Funway
Beginner

Hi Xiang Yang

Could you explain more? I don't understand what is your meaning for "Can I ask for your help to accept as a solution if no further issues/questions from your end?"

Best Regards

Funway

0 Kudos