Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

[Edge Software Configurator][v4.0] Can't deploy a local created VM in host to Edge nodes

RWu
New Contributor I

Hi all, 

I follow the documents: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/edge-software-configurator-doc/edge-software-configurator-basics/create-and-manage-virtual-machines/create-virtual-machine-with-new-template.html to create a windows VM by a local windows ISO file.  But I can't use this VM in the steps "Select Virtual Machine" in "Add Workload Template" of "Deploy Edge Nodes". Therefore, I can't deploy a Windows VM to a  edge node. 

I also found that only the VM created by a default "Virtual Machine Template" ("Ubuntu 18.04 Headless" and "Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop") can be show in the steps "Select Virtual Machine" . 

Example: I created 5 VM as below picture, but only two of them can be show in "Add Workload Template Page" 

Local_VM_list.png

Add_workload_template_VM.png

How to make the local created VM can be deployed on the remote edge nodes? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi RWu,

It looks like the other three virtual machines you created are not being properly recognized as the OS Version is listed as "generic". How were these VMs created? Did you disable the "Enable v-GPU" flag in the virtual machine template creation step? 

Sincerely,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
RWu
New Contributor I

Hi Sahira, 

The way I created VM is follow the documents https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/edge-software-configurator-doc/edge-software-configurator-basics/create-and-manage-virtual-machines/create-virtual-machine-with-new-template.html to create our-self VM, the OS Version option we can choose is only "Generic". I am not sure is this limitation or something else. 

Best regard, 

Kunyang

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi Kunyang,

I am looking into this for you and will respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Sahira 

0 Kudos
RWu
New Contributor I

Hi Sahira,

Is any update we can follow ? 

Best regard, 

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi Kunyang,

There is no update from the Engineering team yet, but I will let you know as soon as there is.

Sincerely,

Sahira

0 Kudos
Sahira_Intel

Hi Kunyang,

It looks like the "Add Workload Template" functionality is currently only supported for the original template in Edge Software Configurator. For VMs that are created using an ISO image, it won't be listed in the "Add Workload Template". This is a known limitation but will be made available in the next ESC release.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Sahira 

0 Kudos