Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

Failed to install ESM - Failed to connect to VM Agent

BN
Employee

Failed to install ESM on VM running on VirtualBox - Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

ERROR: Failed to connect to VM Agent.

Attaching log files and screenshot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nadia_J_Intel

Hi Riya, 

As per our discussion, since your local machine is running on rhel os, it's currently not supported to run ESM.

You can always come back to the forum once you have a physical system ready and if you face issue with it. In the meantime, you can refer to this guide to explore more on ESM: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/edge-software-manager.html 

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Sahira_Intel

Hi BN,

You might need to reinstall just the ESM. Try the following command:

$./edgesoftware update <ESM Module ID>

Use the module ID from this command:

$./edgesoftware list

Please let me know if this works.

Sincerely,

Sahira

0 Kudos
riya
Employee

Hi Sahira,

The above commands did not work for me. I am trying to make ESM work on an Ubuntu18.04 AWS Instance.

I got error something like this after execution of ./edgesoftware update <ESM Module ID>:

ERROR: Failed to connect to VM Agent
Setup Failed. Cleaning up ...
Removing docker container
Removing docker stacks
Removing files
Removing docker volumes
Failed to install Intel_Edge_Software_Manager took 6 minutes 1.59 seconds

and hence, could not open localhost:3002 port.

0 Kudos
Nadia_J_Intel

Hi Riya, 

It's not advisable to install ESM on VM as ESM is not validated to work on cloud environment. And in your situation here, it fails because AWS instances network policy does not support the network requirement needed for ESM. Hope you can try to install ESM on physical system instead. 

Thanks.

riya
Employee

Thanks a dozen Nadia.

Right now, we are integrating ESM with "Edge Insights for Vision" and it gets installed on the same machine as "Edge Insights for Vision" . 

I have two queries:

1. If my k8s container stack is running on AWS, and I intend to run ESM on a local machine, as you mentioned. How can I do it.

2. If I want to integrate my customized container stack , instead of Vision Edge Stack ,with ESM, how can I achieve it.

Please refer me to documentation / link. 

0 Kudos
Nadia_J_Intel

Hi Riya, 

As per our discussion, since your local machine is running on rhel os, it's currently not supported to run ESM.

You can always come back to the forum once you have a physical system ready and if you face issue with it. In the meantime, you can refer to this guide to explore more on ESM: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/edge-software-manager.html 

Thanks

AjayVK
Employee

Hi Team,

I am facing issue to install the ESM in one of the UBUNTU Machine .

I tried all the possible solutions mentioned in the link but still the installation fails 

Attaching the Entire Execution steps in Attachment.

Thanks

Ajay

0 Kudos
Nadia_J_Intel

Hi Ajay, 

I can't seem see the cause of the error in details from the attachment you provided. Can you share the ESM logs from this folder /var/log/esb-cli/<Edge_Insights_for_vision/ESM instead ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AjayVK
Employee

Hi Team,

Please find the data as requested. Do the Needfull.

0 Kudos
Nadia_J_Intel

Hi Ajay,

Instead of running the $./edgesoftware update, can you try to uninstall the ESM component by running this command, $./edgesoftware uninstall <ESM_ID> and try to run the $./edgesoftware install ? 

Do you see the same issue ?

Btw, would appreciate if you start a new thread next time for new issues so we can easily follow up. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
RaviKira
Beginner

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. Is there any working solution? 

Tried to update, uninstall and reinstall too. Didn't work on Ubuntu 18.4 and 20.4 too

Verifying Edge Software Configurator [.. ] 4%
ERROR: Failed to connect to VM Agent
Setup Failed. Cleaning up ...
Log says 

Thu Jun 03 03:46:49 IST 2021 - ERROR - Failed to get vm agent status with return code 200

/var/log/esb-cli/Intel_Edge_Software_Configurator_v3.0/Edge_Software_Configurator/components.log: 

**************************************** Logs for service esm_vm-server ****************************************
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |CONF | Application key found. Initializing postgres db uri...
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |CONF | Failed to load file path: File not found: /vm-server/app/../../certs/server.crt
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |CONF | Failed to load file path: File not found: /vm-server/app/../../certs/server.key
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[93m|SSH | hostkey not exist^[[0m
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[93m|RSA WARNING | RSA key not exist^[[0m
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |RSA | New RSA key created
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[92m|RSA | RSA private key created: /opt/vm-server/.ssh/vmserver_key^[[0m
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[92m|RSA | RSA public key created: /opt/vm-server/.ssh/vmserver_key.pub^[[0m
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |MAIN | VM Server status: True
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | |MAIN | Verifying database url...
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[94m|MAIN | Start VM Server^[[0m
esm_vm-server.1.gs38zhzieeji@ubuntu20 | ^[[92m|DB | Database connected^[[0m

Thanks,

Ravi Kiran

0 Kudos