Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
404 Discussions

How to set "User login policies" and "Password policies" for intel ECI2.5?

bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I'm using Intel ECI 2.5 and I would like to improve my system security by setting "User login policies" and "Password policies" as follows:

①User login Policies: Lock user accounts after certain number of failed login attempts

②Password Policies: Force users to employ strong passwords by setting Password length,     Password complexity, Password expiration time

For "User login policies" setting, following the link below, I saw that I have to add the new rule setting lines into /etc/pam.d/password-auth and /etc/pam.d/system-auth files ,but these file are not exist in Intel ECI.
I have also tried to create new files and add these new rules into these files but it not work.
https://www.linuxtechi.com/lock-user-account-incorrect-login-attempts-linux/

For "Password policies" setting, I saw that I have to install libpam-pwquality package into my ECI. And I have also tried to build the libpam-pwquality from source code but I got the following error when run make command:
        pod2man command not found

So, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to set "User login policies" and "Password policies" for intel ECI2.5?

My current enviroment are as following:
Hardware: Intel Atom® x6414RE Customer Reference Board
Software: Intel ECI 2.5

My image info:

##########################################################################################

ID=ecs
NAME="Intel ECI"
VERSION="2.5 (TYGERRIVER)"
VERSION_ID=2.5
PRETTY_NAME="Intel ECI 2.5 (TYGERRIVER)"
VARIANT="ecs-base-poky"
FEATURES=" virtualization ecs-base tpm eii libc-abi-breaker-xdp tcc debug k8s kernel-src kgdb sdk ssh-server xdp x11 opengl ecpb virtualization "

###########################################################################################

Best Regards,
Bui Minh Huy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi Lay, Jesus

I'm so sorry for the late reply!

>I think you requested ECI 3.0 access. Please try on ECI 3.0 Debian or Ubuntu.

→ "User login policies" and "Password policies" setting work well with ECI 3.0 Debian distro.

So I would like to close this topic here. Thank you very much for your kindly support.

Best regards
Bui

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi

Is there any update on my question?
I would appreciate it if you would give me some advice about that

Best Regards,
Bui Minh Huy

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi bmh8x,

Apologies for the delay in our response. For some reason, your discussion did not generate a ticket in our backend. Is this something you still need help with?

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

I still need some advice about User login policies and Password policies setting. Please give me some advise !

Regards,

Bui

0 Kudos
Lay
Employee

Hi Bui,

From your image info it show that you are using yocto.

The below link is for other OS distro

https://www.linuxtechi.com/lock-user-account-incorrect-login-attempts-linux/

I think you requested ECI 3.0 access. Please try on ECI 3.0 Debian or Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

Hi Bui,

I believe this may need to be done using the OS terminal as you have been trying to do. Let me reach out to the development team and get some clarification.

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
bmh8x
New Contributor I

Hi Lay, Jesus

I'm so sorry for the late reply!

>I think you requested ECI 3.0 access. Please try on ECI 3.0 Debian or Ubuntu.

→ "User login policies" and "Password policies" setting work well with ECI 3.0 Debian distro.

So I would like to close this topic here. Thank you very much for your kindly support.

Best regards
Bui

0 Kudos
JesusE_Intel

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

0 Kudos