Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.
394 Discussions

Issue trying to provision EIS

Mauricio
Novice

Hi,

We had an issue when trying to provision EIS with the command: sudo ./provision_eis.sh ../docker-compose.yml and we get the following error (error1.txt):

EIS-provisioning-error1.png

If I kill the process or change the port number in the .../build/.env file, I get the following error (error2.txt):

EIS-provisioning-error2.png

This has happened to us on several computers with Ubuntu 18.04, downloading a custom install version of EIS, disabling everything except ImageStore.

In this case, we uninstalled and installed EIS 2.3.4 again, and the same error occurred on the first provisioning.

The problem seems to be the etcd service, but I am not sure.

Thank you very much for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Murni_J_Intel

Hi, 

This might happen due to the previous version of the installation is not being clean up totally. When you want to uninstall EII for the previous version, it will be good to delete all the existing images in the system as well before continue to install the new version. 

I would suggest you start a fresh installation on the system (directly install the latest one) after you format the system and let me know if the issue still persists. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Murni_J_Intel

Hi, 

May I know if you are getting this error during the first build of EII installation or you are getting this error on the subsequence provisioning? 

if you are getting this error on the subsequence provisioning, may I get the information on the changes that you have done?

can you help to provide the information on what custom component has been chosen for this setup and currently what is running on the system on that specific port?

0 Kudos
Mauricio
Novice

Hi Murni,

We are getting this error on the subsequence provisioning.

We have do some changes on several microservices. VideoIngestion, Analytics, ImageStore, and so on.

Currently on that port (2379) is running the etcd service, which manage the configuration of all containers.

The modules used from custom version are:

Docker Community Edition (CE)*

Docker Compose*

Video Analytics

Time Series Analytics

Image Store

And, the files on IEdgeInsights/ folder related to EII are:

ls /home/openvino/edge_insights_industrial/Edge_Insights_for_Industrial_2.3.4/IEdgeInsights/

CONTRIBUTING.md EtcdUI InfluxDBConnector license.txt Samples Visualizer
build DiscoveryCreek Installing_docker_pre_requisites.md README_fpga.md Telegraf Grafana Kapacitor README.md tools WebVisualizer
common Etcd_Secrets_and_MsgBus_Endpoint_Configuration.md ImageStore licenses VideoIngestion

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Mauricio 

I would suggest you re-generate the docker-compose file by using the eis_builder.py script.

After you get the new docker-compose.yml being generated, try to re-run the provisioning step.

make sure you have bring down all of the other containers before doing this to avoid the port conflict issue.

let me know if this helps to resolved your issue. 

0 Kudos
Mauricio
Novice

Hi again @Murni,

Yes, I have tried to do the build, but when I do the provisioning I get those errors again.

Although I have made sure that there is no container running or stopped, it seems that the etcd service is still running outside of docker, and still occupying the port.
It's like docker can't shut it down completely.
I can corroborate this by running the command:

sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep 2379

and I get something like (just an example):
etcd 2479 eisuser 5u IPv4 37606 0t0 TCP 127.0.0.1:2379 (LISTEN).
etcd 2479 eisuser 6u IPv4 37607 0t0 TCP 192.168.0.138:2379 (LISTEN)
etcd 2479 eisuser 11u IPv4 38808 0t0 TCP 127.0.0.1:51482->127.0.0.1:2379 (ESTABLISHED)
etcd 2479 eisuser 12u IPv4 39164 0t0 TCP 127.0.0.1:2379->127.0.0.1.1:51482 (ESTABLISHED)
etcd 2479 eisuser 13u IPv4 39165 0t0 TCP 192.168.0.138:35398->192.168.0.138:2379 (ESTABLISHED)
etcd 2479 eisuser 14u IPv4 38810 0t0 TCP 192.168.0.138:2379->192.168.0.138:35398 (ESTABLISHED)

The problem seems to be that when stopping EII with the command:
docker-compose down or docker-compose down --remove-orphans
the docker service fails to completely stop the ia_etcd:2.3 container.

The only solution we have found to this error is to uninstall EII and install it again, or format the machine.

Please let me know if you have any more ideas.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi, 

May I know if the system is installed with the previous EII version? if yes, is that particular version is still in the system?

You might need to kill all the docker-container before re-run the provisioning. The docker-compose down command will not bring down the ETCD container as it will only being down all other existing containers than ETCD.  In order to bring down the current ETCD container, you will need to manually bu using below command

$ docker stop <container_id>

$ docker rm -f <container_id>

before running the provisioning again, please ensure there is nothing running while doing the $ docker ps command. 

0 Kudos
Mauricio
Novice

Hi!,

Yes, I always check for existing containers with the command
docker ps -a
and delete all of them with the command
docker rm -f <cid>

Anyway I still get error 2:
ERROR: for ia_etcd Cannot create container for service ia_etcd: failed to mount local volume: mount /opt/intel/eis/data/etcd/:/var/snap/docker/common/var-lib-docker/volumes/edgeinsightssoftware_vol_etcd/_data, flags: 0x1000: no such file or directory.

We have installed and uninstalled several versions on this device.
2.3.4 (current)
It may be that some of the previous versions have not been uninstalled correctly.
It seems that the install and uninstall commands (./edgesoftware install , ./edgesoftware uninstall -a) do not prevent this specific conflict with previous versions.
Probably I will need to format the device.
We wanted to fix it because it has already happened to us several times on different computers.

I also tried to uninstall docker:
snap remove --puge docker
snap install docker
and I still get error 2.

Do you have any more suggestions? If not, I will have to format the computer.

Thank you very much.

Mauricio A.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi, 

This might happen due to the previous version of the installation is not being clean up totally. When you want to uninstall EII for the previous version, it will be good to delete all the existing images in the system as well before continue to install the new version. 

I would suggest you start a fresh installation on the system (directly install the latest one) after you format the system and let me know if the issue still persists. 

Mauricio
Novice

Hello Murni,

I have been able to solve the problem without formatting the machine, deleting some folders with the following command:

sudo rm -r /opt/intel/ /opt/eis/ /opt/containerd/ /opt/Intel/

and additionally:

snap remove --purge docker
rm -rf /var/lib/docker

I installed the 2.3.4 version and it works correctly.

Thank you very much.

Mauricio.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Mauricio 

Great to hear the issue is being solved now. Thank you for sharing the workaround from your side. As mentioned previously this might due to the different version is being installed on the same machine. In the future, you can avoid this thing happen by removing all the existing docker Images before installing the new one.