Intel® Edge Software Hub
Get answers from community peers to your questions about building Edge Software Hub solutions for edge compute node.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community! If you like the answer to your question, please mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others.

The Edge Software Vision Package for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is now available here.

Learn more about developing on Intel® Hardware and Software here.

eis installer failed

Tconnell
Novice

Hello, my name is Ted.  I was trying to install the new version of EIS on a new Ubuntu 18.04 NUC.  The eis installer failed because the etcd_ui container was not present.  here is the message:

"

[Warning] One or more build-args [EIS_UID] were not consumed
Successfully built 10d477bf69d6
Creating ia_visualizer ... done
Creating ia_etcd_ui ... done
Creating ia_web_visualizer ... done
Creating edgeinsightssoftware_ia_video_common_1 ... done
Creating edgeinsightssoftware_ia_openvino_base_1 ... done
Creating ia_video_ingestion ... done
Creating ia_video_analytics ... done

Verifying Docker images
SUCCESS : Verified ia_eisbase
SUCCESS : Verified ia_common
SUCCESS : Verified ia_etcd_ui
SUCCESS : Verified ia_video_common
SUCCESS : Verified ia_openvino_base
SUCCESS : Verified ia_video_ingestion
SUCCESS : Verified ia_video_analytics
SUCCESS : Verified ia_visualizer
SUCCESS : Verified ia_web_visualizer
Building Insights Images [............................Building Insights Images [..................................................] 100%
Edge Insights Visualizer [......................... ] 50%
ia_etcd_ui Container is not up after 15 minutes.
Failed to install eis_installer took 33 minutes 55.64 seconds
Installing manageability
Parsing User Configuration [......................... ] 50%"

and the message at the end:

"+--------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+
| Id | Module | Status |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+
| 5f21392e9e63c9002a6fd88d | Docker Community Edition CE | SUCCESS |
| 5f213aae9e63c9002a6fd88e | Docker Compose | SUCCESS |
| 5ef46fe3fa5828002aa646e0 | eis installer | FAILED |
| 5ef2eb18fa5828002aa646dc | manageability | SUCCESS |
| 5ef2cfa2fa5828002aa646d5 | Training and Learning Suite | SUCCESS |
+--------------------------+-----------------------------+---------+
root@nuc1-desktop:/home/nuc1/Downloads/edge_insights_industrial# "

Do you have a solution to this?

Thanks

Ted

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Murni_J_Intel

HIi @Tconnell 

can you help to run  ./edgesoftware log and provide us the log? so that we can help to see what is happening during the installation that causes it to be failed.

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

please see attached log file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Tconnell

Sorry for the inconvenient caused, the team is currently working on fixing the issue here, and there will be a hotfix released by this week.  It will be best if you can try again next week Monday to see if the issue still persists.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

Hi, I tried the new link to install EIS 2.3.1.  I tried on a new Ubuntu 18.04.5 NUC Intel® Core™ i7-7567U CPU @ 3.50GHz × 4, Iris Plus Graphics 650 (Kaby Lake GT3e), 7.7 GiB memory, 491.2 GB Disk.

It failed to install the Insights module, but successfully installed dockerce, docker_compose, and manageability.  Please see screen shot for details.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Tconnell  

May I know if you are downloading and installing using ESH? Based on the screenshot that you provide seems like you are using the EIS installer script. 

after successfully download the package and follow the instruction here:  https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/edge-insights-industrial-doc/get-started-guide/install-edge-insights-for-industrial.html 

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

Hi Murni, I am a bit confused.  On monday I was emailed a link to a EdgeInsighstSoftware-V2.3.1-PV.tar.gz.  I followed the readme.md document in the installer directory to install.  Edge Insights Software 2.3 install failled.  I sent you the screen shoot,

You responded by sending me the link below to a new set of instructions that ask me to to use the file edge_insights_industrial.zip from the developer workstation to install.  I did that and it looks to install correctly.  See screen shots of results.

But, I could not get TLS to work.  I tried to open https://localhost:8080 and i got a 404 error cannot get.

So I retry the .tar. file this time with no manageability.  Dockerce did not install.  See screen shot.

So my question is which file (tar or zip) and which instructions should I use?

Thanks

Ted

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Tconnell 

Can you help to provide the logs of your failed installation of your EdgeInsighstSoftware-V2.3.1-PV.tar.gz.

it is located at [EIS_WORK_DIR]/installer/installation/output file.

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

Hi, Please see below files.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Tconnell 

Based on the logs that you provide, seems like the manageability is not being installed because you choose not to install the component along the installation process. 

May I know if you are running the installation by using a corporate proxy? 

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

No Proxy

We decided not to install manageability to ease installation.

0 Kudos
Murni_J_Intel

Hi @Tconnell 

if you need to install EIS without the manageability component, you can select to customize the package and uncheck for the manageability component and continue for the installation. I would suggest you install by using the .zip file and follow the installation instruction that I have provided in the previous post. 

let me know if you are still facing any issue by using the new customized package.

0 Kudos
Tconnell
Novice

I followed your instructions and successfully installed EIS suite.  Please see log

The PCB demo did not start.  I typed xhost + and the PCB demo popped up (i did not need to docker_compose up anything!  I felt that was weird).

I looked to see if TLS was running by going to https://localhost:8080 but got the Error 404 cannot get

I tried to start TLS by changing directories and running ./Setup/checklist.sh and confirmed the required files were there.  I ran ./startTLS.sh and the system ran but stopped.  I checked the web interface but got the same error. 

So the PCB demo works, but I can't get TLS open.

Please advise

Regards

Ted

0 Kudos
WengWai_C_Intel

Hi @Tconnell ,

There were 2 issues:

1. The EIS package source folder were in "root" permission causing files cannot be used for installation. By default, once downloaded the package, it should be belong to user permission. If you use sudo su or other sudo command moved the folder around or change something, it belong to root. In this cse, the TLS folder need to switch back to  user permission.
  2. I believe you first started TLS setup as native. then follow by installing TLS as docker containers. Once all docker containers fully build, it can’t get started because the native installation has ‘node’ running and occupied the port 8080. So, just kill the "node" process and release the port, then all the TLS containers can up and running.

Please let us know if these fixed the issues and any other question. Thanks!

0 Kudos