Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

As support staff preparing for next term my college is using the Altera DE0 board with software 10.1sp1_quartus_free_windows.exe. Problem is I get the error “The hash for the file is not present...” when installing the USB-Blaster driver.

SRead3
Beginner

Is there an easier way to get this to work besides turning off secure boot? Is there a newer driver which has the hash that would work? It needs to be simple for the Students.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding, you are trying to install very old USB blaster driver (from Quartus 10.1sp1 for Wind xp) into newer Windows system like Win8 or Win10.

Workaround, install newer Quartus software that contains newer USB blaster driver that match with Win8 or Win10.

You can check whether your machine is supported or not (OS) by referring to ling below:

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/requirements/

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you are correct, a very old USB blaster driver from Quartus 10.1sp1.

My job at Niagara College is new but I understand the Professor insists on using 10.1sp1 because his notes were created with this version.

So I have a question to ask.

Can I extract the USB blaster from the oldest version which supports windows 10 (which from your provided link, appears to be version 16) and install that driver but still use version 10.1sp1?

I look forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi, Based on my understanding, yes. This is because the Quartus is backwards compatibility, support down version and will not support upper Quartus version.

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner
Hello, I am not sure this is true because I tried this driver from Ver. 16.1 and while it installs and says it is working it does not connect to my DE0 board. Could I be missing something? Thank you - Steve
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi, could you try this? the default JTAG clock frequency for the external USB-blaster II is 24M. Could you try reducing the JTAG clock speed to 16M or 6M to see how things go.

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner

I googled but could not see where to change the J-Tag frequency. But I realize I need to appologize because I may not have been clear enough.

First, it looks like there is some kind of USB Blaster hardware which I am not using. I have just a standard USB cable which plugs into the DE0 board.

Second, while windows sees the driver, Quartus says "No Hardware" as shown in the .attachment.

Sorry for my missing details.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could help quick check, whether you had click on the “no hardware” drop down list in Quartus program windows. There should be either USB-blaster or USB-blaster II drop down selection.

Could you also help verify all the Switch and Jumper Settings are in default factory switch settings to enable JTAG programming.

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner

Yes, I did click on the "no hardware" drop down list in the Quartus program as shown in the attachment and as you can see it is empty. Could you explain where the switch and jumper settings are? I do not see any. I am just using a standard USB cable to connect to the DE0 board.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

The Switch and Jumper Settings are located at your dev.kit board. You can refer to DE0 board manual on this.

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner
I cannot see any setting switches or jumpers on the DE0 board. And I cannot find any references to switches or jumpers in the DE0 Board Manual. I have asked a Colleague who is more familiar with the DE0 board who confirms there are not Switch or Jumper Settings. I have attached a photo of the DE0 board, could you please indicate where they are? Thank you - Steve
0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

For default factory setting switches or jumpers on the DE0 board it would be better if you could contact Terasic for enquiry related to Terasic board. https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=12&No=20   

You can also try out other USB blaster cable or dev kit board to confirm is this software issue or hardware cable/board issue?

If nothing really works, we suspect it is board issue then you need to contact Terasic directly for board issue support as this is 3rd party designer board.

Please accept my apologies for not being able to assist you fully as this is out of my expertise.

0 Kudos
SRead3
Beginner

OK, thank you for your help.

You may close this request.

0 Kudos