Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

Getting license for vsim

AliB
Beginner

Hi,

I am running Intel Quartus Prime Pro Edition on window 10.

I have created a license and saved it in /licenses/flexlm directory

I have set the system variables, SALT_LICENSE_SERVER, MGLS_LICENSE_FILE, LM_LICENSE_FILE to the path of the license. I ran "Launch Simulation Library Compiler".  Compilation failed due to checking out license for vsim as shown below,

"Info: Start compiling process

Info: Args: -tool modelsim -language verilog -tool_path G:/intelFPGA_pro/22.1/questa_fse/win64 -directory G:/Tests/cntr_32_sync -rtl_only

Info: *******************************************************************

Info: Running Quartus Prime Shell

Info: Version 22.1.0 Build 174 03/30/2022 SC Pro Edition

Info: Copyright (C) 2022 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Info: Your use of Intel Corporation's design tools, logic functions

Info: and other software and tools, and any partner logic

Info: functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing

Info: (including device programming or simulation files), and any

Info: associated documentation or information are expressly subject

Info: to the terms and conditions of the Intel Program License

Info: Subscription Agreement, the Intel Quartus Prime License Agreement,

Info: the Intel FPGA IP License Agreement, or other applicable license

Info: agreement, including, without limitation, that your use is for

Info: the sole purpose of programming logic devices manufactured by

Info: Intel and sold by Intel or its authorized distributors. Please

Info: refer to the applicable agreement for further details, at

Info: https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/eula.

Info: Processing started: Wed Jul 6 22:04:26 2022

Info: System process ID: 12532

Info: Command: quartus_sh --simlib_comp -tool modelsim -language verilog -tool_path G:/intelFPGA_pro/22.1/questa_fse/win64 -directory G:/Tests/cntr_32_sync -rtl_only

Info: Quartus(args): -tool modelsim -language verilog -tool_path G:/intelFPGA_pro/22.1/questa_fse/win64 -directory G:/Tests/cntr_32_sync -rtl_only

Info: Changing the current directory to output directory G:/Tests/cntr_32_sync ..

Info: Using Path G:/intelFPGA_pro/22.1/questa_fse/win64 that was set in EDA Simulation Library Compiler Options

Info: Generating commands to compile library altera_ver ...

Info: Generating commands to compile library lpm_ver ...

Info: Generating commands to compile library sgate_ver ...

Info: Generating commands to compile library altera_mf_ver ...

Info: Generating commands to compile library altera_lnsim_ver ...

Info: Executing command file containing library compilation commands

Info: Unable to checkout a license. Make sure your license file environment variable (SALT_LICENSE_SERVER, MGLS_LICENSE_FILE, LM_LICENSE_FILE)

Info: is set correctly and then run 'lmutil lmdiag' to diagnose the problem.

Info: Unable to checkout a license. Vsim is closing.

Error: ** Error: Invalid license environment. Application closing.

Error: Compilation was NOT successful. 1 errors, 0 warnings"

Any idea to fix this failure and move forward with simulation.

Thanks,

Ali

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Apologize for the delay. Could help check again the setup. But before setting up Questa/Modelsim, would you kindly help check, whether your machine is supported or not (OS) by referring to link below:

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html               

For Questa software, you must set an environment variable the location of license. you need to specify location of the license file using the LM_LICENSE_FILE system variable (click/checkout the Use LM_LICENSE_FILE variable). You need to set your LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to point to the license that Intel provides. c:\intel\license.dat or something similar.

Please stop and restart PC after assigning.

To make this entry, you may perform a windows Search for "System Variables" and then click on "Edit the System Environment Variables" and then click "Environment Variables". Be aware that you must add the entry in System variables, not user variables.

(if you print "system v" instead, you can see it).

You can also refer this following YouTube for license setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9ei5lMgGE   

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter and it can now be move forward. I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos