Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

I am a repair technician at CTDI, We need to replace CPLDs and FPGAs on occasion. We are not interested in the design aspect. IS there a simple software solution we can use without all the unnecessary bells and whistles?

RMeid
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Go here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

Click "Select by Software" and choose "Programming Software."

What you mention is kind of a strange setup because if the board loses power, and the device has no flash (any FPGA besides MAX 10, which has its own onboard configuration flash memory), you'd have to go in and manually reprogram the device over JTAG every time.

In any case, let me know if you're now able to download the programming software.

#iwork4intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

A software solution to do what? And when you say you need to replace devices, do you mean de-solder from boards and replace? Why do you need to do this?

Even if you replace a device on a board with the same device, if the programming configuration is stored in non-volatile flash, as it usually is, you don't need to do anything.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
RMeid
Beginner

When re replace a bad CPLD or FPGA we need to reprogram it. We do this though JTAG. Not all CPLDs or FPGAs have their programming held in non-volatile memory. In fact, mot of the ones we deal with are programmed directly into the chip, This was a decision the engineer made at the time of design. We just repair them. We don't design them. I did find a link to software for programming only, but unfortunately the link is broken.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Go here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

Click "Select by Software" and choose "Programming Software."

What you mention is kind of a strange setup because if the board loses power, and the device has no flash (any FPGA besides MAX 10, which has its own onboard configuration flash memory), you'd have to go in and manually reprogram the device over JTAG every time.

In any case, let me know if you're now able to download the programming software.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos