Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Intel Modelsim launch error on Centos 7

LFahem
New Contributor I

Hello, 

I have installed Quartus Prime Pro 17.1.0 on my PC having Centos7 as an OS. However, when I try to launch modelsim using vsim command I get the following error message:

Failed to obtain lock: couldn't open "/root/.modelsim_lock": file already exists
Error in startup script:
Initialization problem, exiting.

while executing
"Transcript::action_log "PROPREAD \"$key\" \"$value\"""
(procedure "VsimProperties::Init" line 59)
invoked from within
"VsimProperties::Init $MTIKeypath"
(procedure "PropertiesInit" line 18)
invoked from within
"PropertiesInit"
invoked from within
"ncFyP12 -+"
(file "/mtitcl/vsim/vsim" line 1)
** Fatal: Read failure in vlm process (0,0)

I have the following configuration:

• Quartus version: 17.1.0

Thank you.

Lotfi

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LFahem
New Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Actually, I installed Modelsim with Quartus Pro 20.3 and the above error disappeared. I think that the libraries were correctly installed this time.

Lotfi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi Lotfi,

You received that error because of missing libraries. Unfortunately we have no proper workaround as CentOS 7 is not supported on ModelSim Intel FPGA: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html

You could try installing the equivalent or substitute packages listed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux from Table 2 of this document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf#page=8

Otherwise you'd have to use a different EDA simulation tool that supports CentOS 7.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Lotfi,

Any updates?

Nurina

0 Kudos
LFahem
New Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Actually, I installed Modelsim with Quartus Pro 20.3 and the above error disappeared. I think that the libraries were correctly installed this time.

Lotfi.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Glad your problem has been resolved. I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

0 Kudos