Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

ModelSim floating license question

CLi19
Beginner

Hi,

Question background:

Our FPGA team used to buy fix license for altera ModelSim, now they are all expired. We now want to setup a floating license server on a dedicated PC.

Question:

Before purchasing, I have a question on the floating license. In the Doc "Intel® FPGA Software Installation and Licensing", page 28, it says:

"

Floating license—A floating network (multi-user) license is for users running the Intel Quartus Prime software on multiple computers connected on a network. A license server issues licenses to computers on demand.

Floating licenses are not specific to an operating system. If you want to run the FPGA software on additional computers, you can purchase additional seats to add to your floating license after its original purchase.

"

I don't understand the "additionnal seats" for a floating license.

For example, license server installed on PC1, and now we have PC2, PC3 and PC4 with altera modelsim installed, and these 3 PCs will connect to PC1 to get license.

So in this case, we should buy 1 floating license + 3 seats, am i right?

If so, then what's the point of floating license comparing to fix license?

Thx for advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding, 1 floating license means 1 seat available in the floating license if user purchase 3 seats for the floating license 3 users can use the license at the same time. 3 users mean any 3 as the license is not tied to a specific host ID, if fixed license, only the user with the specific host ID can use the license. Example, you have 10 users connected to license server, 3 of 10 user can use the license at the same time regardless of their host ID/Mac Add. But for fix license only user with the specific host ID can use the license and can’t be share with another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Welcome to INTEL forum. Based on my understanding, 1 floating license means 1 seat available in the floating license if user purchase 3 seats for the floating license 3 users can use the license at the same time. 3 users mean any 3 as the license is not tied to a specific host ID, if fixed license, only the user with the specific host ID can use the license. Example, you have 10 users connected to license server, 3 of 10 user can use the license at the same time regardless of their host ID/Mac Add. But for fix license only user with the specific host ID can use the license and can’t be share with another user.
0 Kudos
CLi19
Beginner

Thanks for the answer. Clear and easy to understand.

0 Kudos