cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xuyang
Beginner

Modelsim ASE starter not directly support UVM

Jump to solution

Hi Guys, I installed modelsim ASE starter edition 2021.02.

From common knowledge, I thought this tool has pre-compiled UVM features. But after I installed, I found `include "uvm_macros.svh" cannot be compiled. Then I checked library, no UVM related libs.

Did I missed some steps?

lib.pngwarning.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NurinaW
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately ModelSim does not have pre-compiled UVM features. You are probably thinking of Questa Sim.

You need to download UVM source files, you can do that here: https://www.accellera.org/downloads/standards/uvm

And you'll need to compile the uvm_pkg as well.

vlog -work work -sv -stats=none C:/work/ST/simulation/tb_captur_1.sv <uvm_pkg path>/uvm_pkg.sv +incdir+<UVM source path>/src

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

8 Replies
NurinaW
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately ModelSim does not have pre-compiled UVM features. You are probably thinking of Questa Sim.

You need to download UVM source files, you can do that here: https://www.accellera.org/downloads/standards/uvm

And you'll need to compile the uvm_pkg as well.

vlog -work work -sv -stats=none C:/work/ST/simulation/tb_captur_1.sv <uvm_pkg path>/uvm_pkg.sv +incdir+<UVM source path>/src

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

xuyang
Beginner

Hi Nurina

Thank you for your help, now the compilation can be proceed, and the tb module appears in work lib. Information shows below:

vlog -work work -sv -stats=none C:/work/ST/simulation/tb_capture_1.sv C:/intelFPGA_pro/21.1/modelsim_ase/uvm_lib/src/uvm_pkg.sv +incdir+C:/intelFPGA_pro/21.1/modelsim_ase/uvm_lib/src/
# Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 2021.1 Compiler 2021.02 Feb 3 2021
# -- Compiling package tb_capture_1_sv_unit
# -- Importing package uvm_pkg
# -- Compiling module tb_capture_1
# -- Compiling package uvm_pkg
#
# Top level modules:
# tb_capture_1

But when I load the "tb_capture_1", error happens:

vsim work.tb_capture_1
# vsim work.tb_capture_1
# Start time: 16:32:57 on Jun 10,2021
# ** Fatal: (vsim-7019) Can't locate a C/C++ compiler for 'DPI Export Compilation'.
#
# FATAL ERROR while loading design
# Error loading design

Should I also install other software?

NurinaW
Employee

Hi,

The Fatal Error occurs when the module for gcc compilation is insufficient. Can you go to the installation folder of ModelSim and confirm if gcc-4.2.1-mingw32vc12 exists? Let me know if it has a different name like vc9.

Once confirmed the correct gcc folder exists, check that the path of the C compiler in correctly set in environment variable path:

1. Open Environment Variables. To do this, go to Control Panel->System & Security->System->Advanced system settings->Environment Variables...
  2. Under User Variables, go to "Path" and click "Edit"
  3. Check that it has the following path included: <modelsim installation path>\modelsim_ase\win32aloem
  4. If path not included, click "New" and enter the mentioned path.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Nurina

xuyang
Beginner

Hi Nurina,

The environment variable exists, and gcc folder also exists, you can see in attached screen shots:

env_var.pnggcc.png

NurinaW
Employee

Hi,

Can you attach your .qar file so I can reproduce this error?

Thanks,

Nurina

xuyang
Beginner

Hi Nurina

I'm not simulate it in quartus environment. I directly build a modelsim project, and the rtl is quite simple. You can check this in attach file.

NurinaW
Employee

Thanks. I'm reporting this problem to engineering and I'll let you know what they come back with.

Regards,

Nurina

xuyang
Beginner

Thanks a lot Nurina!