Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Quartus Lite Modelsim RTL simulation fails with MGLS_LICENSE_FILE

msark
Novice

FPGA team,

We tried to run Quartus Lite Modelsim_ase versions 19.1 and 18.1 on CentOS 7 Linux machines and it keeps failing with license not found. 

Error: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file.
Error: NativeLink simulation flow was NOT successful

Nativelink TCL script failed with errorCode: issued_nl_message
Nativelink TCL script failed with errorInfo: Can't launch ModelSim-Altera Simulation software -- make sure the software is properly installed and the environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE points to the correct license file.

We received a University license file donation and it supports Modelsim product. MGLS_LICENSE_FILE variable is set correctly.

setenv MGLS_LICENSE_FILE 27005@its-flex-srv.ucsd.edu

Can you please suggest a solution?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @msark 

Are you using Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition or Starter Edition? 

Do you able to invoke the Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition standalone without using the Nativelink? 

Could you try to set LM_LICENSE_FILE to the license file as well? And checked that the LM_LICENSE_FILE box option is ticked in the Quartus License Setup. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
msark
Novice

Installed ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition (includes Starter Edition) 

https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/19.1/?edition=lite&platform=linux

Setting  LM_LICENSE_FILE variable or selecting it didn't resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
msark
Novice

Can we have a Zoom/Webex session to troubleshoot? This installation on a single Linux machine without a license server works fine but fails on a server file system installation. Is this package supported on multi-user/server installation?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I haven't receive a response from you through the email. May I know do you still need help in regards to this case?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sure, Intel recommend to use Team Meeting for security purposes.  

Let me send you a separate email on the meeting arrangement. 

At the same time, you may checkout the User Guide below on how-to 4.3.5. Set Up a License in a Network License Server

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

0 Kudos
msark
Novice

Richard, I didn't receive an email from you. I checked Spam folder as well.

I received update messages on this case and we still need help. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
msark
Novice

Where do you send the meeting invite? I don't see any update or invite.

0 Kudos
msark
Novice

This issue is not resolved.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @msark 

As discussed in the meeting, Modelsim-Intel FPGA Edition will be replaced by Questa-Intel FPGA Edition Software (including Starter Edition) starting from Intel Quartus Pro Edition 21.3 and Intel Quartus Standard Edition 21.1 onward. You may consider using the Questa software for future classes. 

For those who may come across this issue,  we found that the license file can't be checkout was due to the license being a node-locked type. Floating type license is needed to Set Up a License File in the License Server.

With the issue solved, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos