Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

Questa FPGA Starter Edition Licensing Issue

rostaman
Novice

I installed Questa FPGA Starter Edition and I cannot get a license for it. I have registered for the licensing site, but I still get "Account Required".

0 Kudos
29 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to Intel forum. Can you provide the screen shot of error?

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Thanks for the welcome!

It's been a while and I can't seem to find my way back to that page.  The Intel FPGA Licensing Support page doesn't even have the word "Questa" on it (grr).  The only Starter Edition is ModelSim, which iirc isn't free.

If you could kindly direct me to the Questa Starter Edition licensing page, I'll be happy to retry and submit a screenshot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

You may request the Questa Sim Starter Edition free license here https://licensing.intel.com/  

1) Go to Sign up for Evaluation or Free licenses

2) Select Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition SW-QUESTA

3) # of Seats is always 1

4) Check the T&C box

5) Click Get License button

The license will be sent to email that you register with

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice
0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Well getting the license file worked, but after setting my LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable (to it's path in C:\ on my Win11 box), I still get the same Fatal License Error that I got before.  I attached the screenshot.  I think it's pretty dumb that the application won't even launch.license.jpg

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Could help check again the setup. But before setting up Questa, would you kindly help check, whether your machine is supported or not (OS) by referring to link below:

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html               

For Questa software, you must set an environment variable the location of license. you need to specify location of the license file using the LM_LICENSE_FILE system variable (click/checkout the Use LM_LICENSE_FILE variable). You need to set your LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to point to the license that Intel provides. c:\intel\license.dat or something similar.

Please stop and restart PC after assigning.

To make this entry, you may perform a windows Search for "System Variables" and then click on "Edit the System Environment Variables" and then click "Environment Variables". Be aware that you must add the entry in System variables, not user variables.

(if you print "system v" instead, you can see it).

You can also refer this following YouTube for license setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9ei5lMgGE   

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the OS for Windows 11, and it shows Win10, which I guess means 11 is supported as well.

I still cannot launch Questa.  My fixed license file is in C:\ and its name is LR-067316_License.dat.  I have the system environment variable LM_LICENSE pointing to C:\.  I have restarted the machine.  I still get the dialog that I posted here earlier, which does not let me run the program.

The YouTube video is useless, since it's for Quartus, not Questa, and in the example, Quartus runs successfully, allowing the license to set up via the menu.

Pretty stupid if you ask me, with Questa not even allowing the program to load.

If you can help me I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

To further understand the issue, could you get me the:

1) Screenshot of environment variables setup

2) Machine OS information

3) lmutil lmdiag

4) License.dat file

And for privacy, you can reply/attach your file in private message

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Okay, here are some screenshots and the license file:

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

I got it working finally.  As you can see in my environment variable settings screenshot, I only used the subdirectory for my LM_LICENSE_FILE values, but it needed a fully qualified filename of the file itself.  Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Hassan2311
Beginner

please upload screenshot of the LM_LICENSE_FILE in environment variable . i have the same error message with fully qualified filename 

0 Kudos
RFI
New Contributor I

I am having the same issue, as are many, it would be helpful if the resolution was posted publically, these threads seem to end in private messages. thank you.

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Great point, thank you.  The ball's in my court (to provide more screenshots, and I'm being slow ).  I will do this later today, and always keep the thread in public. 

I'm able to make great progress with my FPGA project with just discrete LEDs and 7-seg displays for testing, which is why I'm slow here.  Of course, that's not sustainable!  We need our simulators!!  

Thanks again, and screenshots soon!

0 Kudos
RFI
New Contributor I

Thank you I appreciate that, but the responsibility really lands on Intel. I can't even get an email from the SSLC to validate my registration. You have gotten farther than I have!

They should post a process (that is tested and works!) , not just help people one on one and forget about it.

RFI
New Contributor I

Here's where I am in this loop of frustration:

- the SSLC is an endless non-functional loop:

RFI_0-1642444482028.png

RFI_1-1642444482018.png

email received  after 12 hours with a link to the same place I started:

RFI_0-1642446339892.png

Link goes back where I started and around and around we go...

RFI_2-1642444482112.png

(chat support is no help - points to this forum)

0 Kudos
RFI
New Contributor I

I found this link in another post.

This appears to be the place - the email links and everything else that leads to the above loop needs to be fixed.

https://licensing.intel.com/eval-free-licenses

0 Kudos
RFI
New Contributor I

So now I am where the OP was when he went private:

RFI_0-1642449933783.png

Can Intel please post a solution publically?

RFI_1-1642450258320.png

Does the license file have to be somewhere special? I tried saving to C:/flexlm but was not allowed access to save it there.

There appears to be a conflict with a Xilinx license? I need both.

C:\Users\RF>lmutil lmdiag
lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2019 Flexera. All Rights Reserved.
FlexNet diagnostics on Mon 1/17/2022 12:06

-----------------------------------------------------
License file: C:\Users\RF\AppData\Roaming/XilinxLicense\Xilinx - Copy.lic
"XC7Z020_EMBEDDED" v2022.03, vendor: xilinxd, expiry: permanent(no expiration date)
vendor_string: rforsyth@rfimages.com,XC7Z020_EMBEDDED,software,permanent,_200503949_208823071_210739961_606
uncounted nodelocked license, locked to ethernet address "b89a2a3a225d" no expiration date

TS_OK: Checkout permitted when client is using terminal client

This is the correct node for this node-locked license

Enter <CR> to continue:

I am using:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎4/‎7/‎2021
OS build 19042.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

You may want to start a new thread, since nobody has gone private on this one.  I'm still going to submit my screenshots later, and I want to make sure the assistant that asked for them gets them.

0 Kudos
RFI
New Contributor I

Thank you rostaman whatever you went through to get through the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable problem would be helpful.

0 Kudos
rostaman
Novice

Sure, glad to help if I can!  I just posted my info for the assistant.  Let's see what happens.

0 Kudos