Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

USB-Blaster can't be found

OTykh
Beginner

USB-Blaster can't be found in quartus programmer. It worked properly earlier, yet it has disconnected three times before, everytime i updated the drivers browsing computer in the map I downloaded the USB-Blaster driver. This time this does not work.

I have it connected by USB-C.

Have anyone experienced this problem/have a solution? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Olav,

May i know which Quartus Version you are using? Also, have you tried on the other piece of USB Blaster?

Thank You.

0 Kudos
OTykh
Beginner

Quartus prime lite edition (18.1).

Yes i have tried with another piece of usb blaster, my computer even registers that it is there but it just can not find the HW in quartus.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Olav,

Are you using Window 10? Have you try to disable driver signature enforcement? If not, can you follow the steps below to have your USB Blaster configured properly:

1 - Go to windows 10 settings and search for "advanced startup options" 

2 - Under Advanced startup, hit "Restart now" 

3 - After a moment, you'll get a "choose an option" screen - choose "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced options", then "Startup Settings" 

4 - You'll get a screen telling you what you will be able to change and a single "Restart" button - press it. 

5 - If your boot drive is BitLocker encrypted, you'll need to enter the recovery key (press return, enter the key in the text box then hit return again - it took me three goes to realize I had to hit return before I could enter they key !) 

6 - You'll be given a menu of options, number 7 disables driver signature enforcement 

7 - When the PC restarts, use Device manager to update the drivers - this time you'll get a warning about the signature, but they install fine. 

8 - When you've finished, restart normally to re-enable signature enforcement

Thank You.

0 Kudos
OTykh
Beginner

did everything in your guide, but on step 7 it keeps telling me i already have the best drivers for my device(same as before).

Warning never appeared either.

since last time i replied here it magically fixed itself when i was trying to update drivers like crazy on device manager, but now it is back and been stuck for a couple of days.

also yes i am using windows 10 and now yes i did try to disable signature enforcement.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Olav Tykhelle,

Can you try this stand alone version of USB Blaster II drivers for Windows 10?

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/component/2018/are-there-stand-alone-windows--10-drivers-for-the--intel--fpga-d.html

Also, can you reduce the TCK frequency of the USB Blaster II to 16MHz and below? By default, it is operated at 24MHz. Having high TCK frequency might cause SI issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06242013_922.html

Thank You.

0 Kudos