Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1143 Discussions

USB-blaster won't install, certificate outdated

123jan456
Beginner

Dear community and Intel employees,

I just bought a new laptop and had to reïnstall Windows and Quartus. But the USB-blaster drivers just wouldn't install. After a whole day of trying to figure out the problem I noticed that the certificates for the USB-blaster drivers had expired last month (Januari-2021).

If USB-blaster just won't install and you are installing the drivers for the first time on a Windows system after 1-2021 you probably have this problem.

The solution:

1) Follow these "instructions" to start Windows in a way that it doesn't require drivers to have valid signatures.

2) Restart the driver installation program located at: "C:\intelFPGA_lite\<version>\quartus\drivers\DPInst.exe"

3) When asked, allow Windows to install drivers that have an invalid signature.

4) Use device-manager to reïnstall the driver for your USB-blaster device. You can let Windows look for the correct driver by itself of select the folder "C:\intelFPGA_lite\<version>\quartus\drivers\"

If it still doesn't work try rebooting with your device disconnected.

I posted this message to prevent other people from wasting their time and in the hope that Intel will renew the certificates.

Cheers,

Jan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear Jan,

This is really good sharing to others! From my side, I really appreciate your input and it is really useful!

We hope you stay healthy wherever you are! Take care!

Regards,
Wani

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear Jan,

This is really good sharing to others! From my side, I really appreciate your input and it is really useful!

We hope you stay healthy wherever you are! Take care!

Regards,
Wani

0 Kudos
TravisCovert
New Contributor I

Hi Wani,

Are the certificates now fixed for new installs? I have recently installed multiple new versions of Quartus and the certificates are outdated.

Thank you,

Travis

0 Kudos
123jan456
Beginner

Hi Travis,

Note the solution I put in my message if you can't wait.

Cheers, Jan

0 Kudos
TrineSYS
Beginner

Do you or does anyone know if Intel plans to release the drivers with updated certs anytime soon for the Quartus-Lite version?  The solution to disable security from Windows OS does not meet our University's security initiatives whether for our student lab workstations or faculty devices.  This is almost a year now and no mention of driver cert updates for Quartus-Lite.

0 Kudos