Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

Ubuntu usb blaster

EBoln
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have: Quartus Std 18.1.1 and Quartus Std 20.1 on Windows 10, 11 and Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04

Everything works on Windows, but on Ubuntu none of the options.

There is a project, build on all systems, but in Ubuntu i program sof into FPGA, FPGA or go to reset, or clean or work. SignalTap just not working in Ubuntu, i try many manuals from internet... of course first manual - official guide. Help pls.

Thanks

upd:

I try Vmware with ubuntu+quartus 20.1 result is the same.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Can you confirm if the same setup was used when you compared both Windows and Ubuntu? Did you compare using the same boards and download cable?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

same computer, operating systems just installed, same cable, same programmer, same devboard. the difference is only in the operating system

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Can you flash your devices on Programmer and try to run SignalTap for each of the devices and share the results here?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

After starup SignalTap FPGA program going down, if program with opened SignalTap and try run it, FPGA going down

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Could you try the steps provided here: https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/UsingUSBBlasterUnderLinux

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

According to the error message, there is signal integrity issue for the JTAG Chain. You need to check the hardware design of board.

1. check board schematic to see if there is design problem ( too many devices in the chain without buffer? )

2. Is there any non-Altera device in JTAG chain? 

3. Measure JTAG signals by scope to see if there is extra components needed (resistors, capacitors to refine the signal)

Also which Rev of the USB Blaster are you using?

Regards.

Nurina

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

i have 5 Terasic DE0-Nano and 2 Terasic DE2. 

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Do you also have any timing violations in your design? This could be a problem.

0 Kudos
EBoln
New Contributor I

I remind you that I use the same sof file on windows and on linux

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Can you try using JTAG Chain Debugger to troubleshoot this issue? This can narrow down the error.

You may find these useful:

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

We did not receive any response to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

Regards,
Nurina

P/S: If you like my comment, feel free to give Kudos. If my comment solved your problem, feel free to accept my comment as solution!

0 Kudos