Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

Unable to generate legacy license for Quartus II V6.1 on virtual machine

John30
Beginner

Hello,

I am attempting to generate a legacy license for Quartus II V6.1 on a Windows XP virtual machine running in VMware, but whenever I enter the NIC ID into the Get Legacy Software/IP/Development Kit Licenses page, I get the following error:

John30_1-1669823581080.png

It says the NIC ID is invalid. I have checked and the NIC ID was entered correctly. What could be causing this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
John30
Beginner

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Anyway, I figured out how to generate a valid license. 

John30_0-1670431357794.png

"Sign up for Evaluation or Free Licenses" at the top of the webpage needs to be selected. From there, select "Inter Quartus II Software SW-QUARTUS-WE-FIX"

John30_1-1670432465873.png

From here, select "+New computer" under "Create a New Computer"

John30_2-1670432538939.png

Under "Computer Type," select "NIC ID." For the Primary Computer ID and Companion Computer ID 2 fields, put the physical addresses of the VMware network adapters. These should be listed in the Local System info under the License Setup menu in Quartus.

John30_4-1670432668731.png

This will generate a valid license file.

Thank you to all who assisted with this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Geoff_HadleighUK
Beginner

Maybe there are NICs for some kind of virtual switch inside VMware? My setup is a bit different: Quartus directly on Win11 on a Dell PC, but I'm also running a VM under HyperV and "ipconfig /all" reports three NICs. You can check the associated manufacturer from the MAC address at a site like https://dnschecker.org/mac-lookup.php In my case two of the NICs decode to Microsoft, and these are the virtual ones associated with HyperV. But the third NIC MAC decodes to Dell and is the real hardware NIC. I guess the license site may require a NIC associated with real hardware.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Welcome to INTEL forum. For legacy software you can try get a license using the Legacy License Generator. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/licensing/lic-choose.html

If error, could you get me the screenshot of error message. TQ

0 Kudos
John30
Beginner

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Anyway, I figured out how to generate a valid license. 

John30_0-1670431357794.png

"Sign up for Evaluation or Free Licenses" at the top of the webpage needs to be selected. From there, select "Inter Quartus II Software SW-QUARTUS-WE-FIX"

John30_1-1670432465873.png

From here, select "+New computer" under "Create a New Computer"

John30_2-1670432538939.png

Under "Computer Type," select "NIC ID." For the Primary Computer ID and Companion Computer ID 2 fields, put the physical addresses of the VMware network adapters. These should be listed in the Local System info under the License Setup menu in Quartus.

John30_4-1670432668731.png

This will generate a valid license file.

Thank you to all who assisted with this issue.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for your update, hope all is well. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos