Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

Unable to install Arria 10 devices under Quartus Prime 19 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, --unzip_tool option does not help.

BStui2
Beginner

Hi, I am tring to install Quartus prime on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. This should work because it is supported. Quartus itself installs ok. However I am unable to install the Arria 10 devices. The installer says it can not unzip the QDZ file. So I try the --unzip_tool option with both unzip and 7z tools, and it still does not work. How to solve this problem? There is plenty of disk space available, that is not an issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kenny_Tan

what is the file format that you are using. If you already see the qdz file, you do not need to unzip it. Just used it by quartus -> tools -> install device

0 Kudos
BStui2
Beginner

I just tried to install the arria 10 devices from Quartus directly (tools-->install devices), i run into the same problem.

After a looong while there is a pop-up that says: try using your own unzip tool.

By the way, apparently Quartus calls the installer to handle device installation, that is the QDZ file.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Can you provide the screenshot of the error when you unzip the tools?

0 Kudos
BStui2
Beginner

Unfortunately, as I am trying to reproduce to answer your request by attempting to install Quartus Prime 19.04 on Windows 10, it now completely hangs after approximately 15%, without any error message. Perhaps to much junk left from previous attempts?

I was able to successfully install the 18.0 version though. However, currently I am working on Windows 7 with the 19.04 version. But I was unable to install Modelsim on that one. Fortunately it seems Signaltap is all I need at the moment.

The pop-up you refer to mention suggests to use the --unizp_tool option and specify with unzip tool, including path, being 7z or unzip tools which are supported.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Are you installing Q19.4 or Q19.04? Windows 7 is outdated OS where Quartus no longer support it.

If can, focus on the Ubuntu OS and screenshot to us on what error that you were seeing?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos
BStui2
Beginner

No update, i am working around the problem by running Quartus 19.4.0 build 64 on a Windows 7 machine, as i can install both the Quartus software and devices. Only modelsim fails to install, I work around that by using Vivado for simulation.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Got it. Try to upgrade your OS if can as per mention, latest version of Quartus/modelsim no longer support windows 7.

0 Kudos
BStui2
Beginner

Hi Kenny,

I know what you mean, except that is how I started out; with a clean workstation with Windows 10 on it.

But I can not install on it so I am 'stuck' with an older Win7 machine.

Anyway, something is working now, that means I can progress as well.

Cheers!

0 Kudos