Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1155 Discussions

What are the advantages of purchasing a license for Quartus Prime Standard?

SHard2
Novice

Good morning

I wonder if you would be able to help as I need to justify the cost of the licence for the Quartus Prime Standard product for when my renewal comes around.

- I am unable to update to 20.1, as Intel have dropped support for DSP Builder for the 'Standard' product.

- I must continue to support legacy equipment containing the Stratix IV FPGA, therefore I cannot use the 'PRO' product.

- As I understand it, I am only able to access support via the forums in the same manner as anyone using a free version of Quartus.

As I cannot upgrade, and I am not able to access premier support, would you be able to help me to justify why I should be paying for a licence fee for the Quartus Prime Standard product?

Many thanks for your assistance

Best regards

Simon

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Hi Simon,

You may take a look into the comparison https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/po/ss-quartus-comparison.pdf

Looking into your device use Stratix IV, you may have to purchase the license for STD. Lite do not support this device.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that we have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos
SHard2
Novice

Good morning

Thank you for replying, unfortunately the information provided does not help with my question.

I already pay for a floating licence for the Quartus standard product and DSP Builder. I have no choice other than to purchase the standard licence as I must support Stratix IV.

The licences are perpetual, therefore if I did not pay to renew my licence next year I could continue to work uninterrupted and save my employer a significant fee.

My question is how to justify to my employer the advantages of paying the licence fee.

1) As described above, the licence fee does not give access to the premier support channel.

2) I am unable to upgrade above Q19.1 STD due to the reason listed above.

Are you able to advise on the advantages of paying for a licenced product?

Best regards

Simon

0 Kudos