Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.
1154 Discussions

What is OneAPI and how does it fit in with other dev tools?

okramer
New Contributor I
  1. What is the difference/relationship between the OpenCL aoc compiler and the dpc++ compiler that comes with OneAPI?
  2. How does OneAPI relate to System Studio?
  3. What is the recommended workflow for developing in OpenCL/C++ for FPGA?
  4. Is Eclipse the only choice for IDE in order to take advantage of the profiling features? Or can I use cmake-based CLion instead?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
GRN
Novice

For (3), I mean: what is the preferred way to develop and debug FPGA host & device OpenCL code?

Currently no IDEs support OpenCL device code for Intel FPGA. Only aoc command line. But you can create host code in any IDE, but separately from device code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GRN
Novice
  1. dpc++ calls aoc
  2. AFAIK System Studio doesn't relate to OneAPI
  3. What do you mean? It's usual workflow for OpenCL FPGA: first is emulator for debug, the second is full compile
  4. AFAIK OneAPI plugin for Eclipse can generate only compiler report and doesn't support dynamic profile
0 Kudos
okramer
New Contributor I

Thanks. For (3), I mean: what is the preferred way to develop and debug FPGA host & device OpenCL code? Is it using SystemStudio or OneAPI? I'm using CLion with custom build step defined for the device code that works well. I can step through my kernel in emulation mode. But this doesn't give me any profiling info that presumably SS and 1API give.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Based on my understanding, OpenCL software is used OpenCL compiler while the DPC++ is used SYCL compiler.

For information about these two compiler, you may need to look into the link below:

https://www.khronos.org/assets/uploads/developers/library/2017-supercomputing/SYCL-and-OpenCL-State-of-the-Nation_Nov17.pdf

Thanks

0 Kudos
GRN
Novice

For (3), I mean: what is the preferred way to develop and debug FPGA host & device OpenCL code?

Currently no IDEs support OpenCL device code for Intel FPGA. Only aoc command line. But you can create host code in any IDE, but separately from device code.

0 Kudos