Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1087 Discussions

Accelerometer Spi Mode Core with NIOS II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am new to the forums and I am looking for some help. I have a DE0 nano development board, and I am trying to use the on board ADXL345 to read out the x, y and z axis on to my connected LT24 display board using a NIOS II processor. I am adapting the DE0 Nano SDRAM painter example from the LT24 demonstration CD. So far, I have added the Accelerometer SPI Mode core into my Qsys project and have loaded the new sof into my board.  

The core has the 50MHz clock connected to the clock_reset 

the clk_reset from the 50Mhz clock is connected to the clock_reset_reset pin 

I also have the cpu.data_master connected to the avalon_accelerometer_spi_mode_slave pin 

No other connections. 

In NIOS II Eclipse, I have added new code to the main.c file. I have included the core .h file ("altera_up_avalon_accelerometer_spi.h). In the program, I call the alt_up_accelerometer_spi_open_dev function with the name of my accelerometer. I can see in the debugger that this returns the device structure (i can see numbers in the variable watch.. as a test, i typed the name wrong and that returned 0x00). This leads me to believe that it opens ok. 

My problem comes when I try to use the alt up accelerometer spi read x axis function. I pass in the reference that I got from the open as well as an alt_32 pointer. However, I cannot get any data back from the function. Additionally, the function always returns 0 (which is supposed to mean success). This returns 0 even if I have the wrong name in the open function. 

Sorry for such a long post. If anyone has any experience reading the DE0 nano ADXL345 accelerometer into a NIOS II processor, i welcome any help I can get
0 Kudos
0 Replies