Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1099 Discussions

Assign DDR2 pins after creating a NIOS II project (DE2-530, QII V14, UniPHY)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The process of assigning pins can be a very hard task and specially if pseudo-differential buses (DQS and CK) are created. I was able to complete this task with success after several hour trying to solve this issue. 

Procedure: 

1) After creating the NIOS II project as described in the DE4 user manual (pg. 128 to 131) include *.sdc and *.qip files to the project and define the *.qip as top entity. 

2) run Analysis and Synthesis; 

3) !VERY IMPORTANT! open the pin planer and manually assign the pins. 

4) !VERY IMPORTANT! run the TCL script *_mem_if_ddr2_emif_p0_pin_assigments.tcl 

5) Verify if the I/O standard SSTL-18 Class I is selected for the clock (if use the dedicated clock to bank 3) , ddr2_i2c_scl_* and ddr2_i2c_sda_*. 

6) !VERY IMPORTANT! Delete the incremental_db folder inside the project folder. 

7) Compile the project. 

If the issue persists do the following procedure: 

1) Open the Assignments Editor on the Assignments menu and leave only assignments related to pin location and I/O standard SSTL-18 Class I selection for the clock (if use the dedicated clock to bank 3) , ddr2_i2c_scl_* and ddr2_i2c_sda_* (check attached file) 

2) run the TCL script *_mem_if_ddr2_emif_p0_pin_assigments.tcl  

3) Delete the incremental_db folder inside the project folder. 

4) Compile the project. 

Drop me an e-mail if you have any further questions (pedrmachado@gmail.com). 

Regards, 

Pedro Machado
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The full project can be found here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0b-v80y2dsbz2quntb3vfz01hmwm/view?usp=sharing

Details: Quartus II version: 14.0.0.200 

Platform: Terasic DE4-530