Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1099 Discussions

Correct way to instantiate an SDRAM ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Got a bit stuck, here, hoping someone can help me out... I'm trying to work through creating a Nios2 system from basics up to something a bit more complex, and the SDRAM is being unreliable. I think I know why, but I don't know how to fix it... 

Here's the top-level component: 

module toplevel ( /******************************************************************** |* Clock \********************************************************************/ CLOCK_50, // Input clock @ 50MHz /******************************************************************** |* i/o on the board \********************************************************************/ LEDG, // Green LED bank KEY, // Pushbuttons /******************************************************************** |* SDRAM Interface \********************************************************************/ DRAM_DQ, // SDRAM Data bus 16 Bits DRAM_ADDR, // SDRAM Address bus 12 Bits DRAM_LDQM, // SDRAM Low-byte Data Mask DRAM_UDQM, // SDRAM High-byte Data Mask DRAM_WE_N, // SDRAM Write Enable DRAM_CAS_N, // SDRAM Column Address Strobe DRAM_RAS_N, // SDRAM Row Address Strobe DRAM_CS_N, // SDRAM Chip Select DRAM_BA, // SDRAM Bank Address 0|1 DRAM_CLK, // SDRAM Clock DRAM_CKE // SDRAM Clock Enable ); /*********************************************************************** |* Declare the inputs/outputs direction and widths \***********************************************************************/ input CLOCK_50; output LEDG; input KEY; inout DRAM_DQ; output DRAM_ADDR; output DRAM_LDQM; output DRAM_UDQM; output DRAM_WE_N; output DRAM_CAS_N; output DRAM_RAS_N; output DRAM_CS_N; output DRAM_BA; output DRAM_CLK; output DRAM_CKE; /*********************************************************************** |* Set up the GPU system \***********************************************************************/ wire cpuClock, ramClock; xlgpu gpu ( .clk_0 (CLOCK_50), .cpuClock (cpuClock), .ramClock (ramClock), .out_port_from_the_ledg (LEDG), .reset_n (KEY), .zs_addr_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_ADDR), .zs_ba_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_BA), .zs_cas_n_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_CAS_N), .zs_cke_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_CKE), .zs_cs_n_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_CS_N), .zs_dq_to_and_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_DQ), .zs_dqm_from_the_sdram_0 ({DRAM_UDQM, DRAM_LDQM}), .zs_ras_n_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_RAS_N), .zs_we_n_from_the_sdram_0 (DRAM_WE_N) ); assign DRAM_CLK = ramClock; endmodule  

... and the system has an on-chip RAM which I'm loading the program into. The code looks like: 

#include <stdio.h> int main() { int i; int mem; int size=1024; printf("Input the address to test (hex) : "); scanf("%x", &mem); unsigned char *ptr = (unsigned char *)mem; printf("Starting test\n"); for (i=0; i<size; i++) { printf("."); *ptr = 0xff; if (*ptr != 0xff) printf("address %p failed to read 0xff (%x)\n", ptr, *ptr); *ptr = 0x00; if (*ptr != 0) printf("address %p failed to read 0x00 (%x)\n", ptr, *ptr); ptr ++; printf(","); } printf("test complete\n"); return 0; } ... and when I type in '0x02000000' (the start of SDRAM) the results in the nios2_terminal look like: 

http://www.0x0000ff.com/imgs/fpga/commas.png  

... where it hangs. I'm assuming there is an exception on read/write to the SDRAM, and the program just dies. The question is, why ? :) Looking at the warning output when creating the system, I see: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning: PLL "xlgpu:gpu|altpll_0:the_altpll_0|altpll_0_altpll_5pa2:sd1|pll7" output port clk[1] feeds output pin "DRAM_CLK~output" via non-dedicated routing -- jitter performance depends on switching rate of other design elements. Use PLL dedicated clock outputs to ensure jitter performance 

--- Quote End ---  

... so I'm assuming there was too much jitter, the SDRAM didn't respond in time, I got a bus-error, and boom! What I'm not sure of is how to write the verilog that forces the DRAM_CLK output to use the dedicated clock routing. I *thought* I had already done that by setting up the system as in: 

http://www.0x0000ff.com/imgs/fpga/clocks.png  

... where I specifed the c1 output (ramClock) to be -3ns from the cpuClock output. So, I'm not sure what to do at this point... Thanks in advance for any help :) 

Cheers 

Simon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, replying to my own post... I hadn't altered the 'linker script' in the BSP editor, so the program was being compiled to start in SDRAM, which I was promptly trying to overwrite. Changing the address being tested solved the problem, and let the program finish. 

The original question still remains though - how do I get the clock out of the generated system, and onto a pin (DRAM_CLK in this case) using dedicated clock-routing ?  

Cheers 

Simon
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you get the pin assigment correct from fpga to sdram clock?  

Sean
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yep - I'm using the board DE0.qsf file that came with the board, and I haven't redefined any of the DRAM_... or CLOCK_50 lines.  

It actually works in hardware - I've run the memtest.c program, and (after realising that both top and bottom of memory are used, one for the heap, one for the stack) I can happily memtest my SDRAM. I'm just curious as to how I *ought* to be doing it so the clock goes by the correct routing. 

[aside: I can't get DMA to work, but I haven't put too much effort into that yet. Still looking at it :)] 

Cheers 

Simon