Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

DE2 TV Decoder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've been trying to make the TV Decoder design work on the DE2 board, and haven't been able to! I've tried both versions (PCB 1.x and 2.x) and neither worked. I remember I had tried it long time ago with my older camera as input, and it worked with a bit of video flicker, but now I don't have that camera any more and it just doesn't work with any source that I have. There's just simply no output to the VGA. I know the VGA works as the default program is working fine. 

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior? At first I thought my board was not working, but then I realized it's the case with other boards too. To me it seems that the decoder can not sync to the input video. I say that because I wrote my own program to decode the input signal and display it, but the video flickers a lot. Could it be the configuration sent to the decoder? 

I'd appreciate any suggestions, 

Kaveh
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

>Has anyone else experienced similar behavior?  

Yes, I have.  

I've tries DVD-out and PC Video-out - come to nothing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have has the same problem, if i remove the input source, i get a blue screen on my vga monitor. 

Has anyone found a solution as yet
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,How to change default values of Adv7181B using I2C. My goal is to right code to display video output on the VGA monitor.  

Plzzzz help me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

asi_ka 

Are you talking about DE2_TV ? 

It works fine for me, just use a standard NTSC video signal in. 

The core detects syncro signal to blank the VGA screen, also it's correct.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

BTXSistemas, can you please post your code in a zip file

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

It's not my code, it's in the DE2 cd. 

Although if you want, when I'll have some free time, I could upload the entire project, that I add, brightness, color, contrast controls and more.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

that would be great

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

anyboby done DE2_TV.I don't know why it don't work?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@knife_of_deat: 

I am using the DE2_TV example and it works. I connected a DVD player with NTSC signal to Video-In and a TFT-Monitor to VGA-Out. 

Maybe you can describe the problem a little more detailed? 

Did flashing work? Have you tried the default program? 

regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did try the sample code, my conclusion then was that the NTSC signal that I was using as input wasn't exactly the one the decoder chip on DE2 expects (slight freq. difference I think). 

Kaveh
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Same flickering problem also applies to me. 

I have more than 5 DE2 boards.  

With a same video input, and a video output(to LCD monitor), I just replaced the target DE2 board with another one. 

For the DE2_Video_In example in UPDS, just one DE2 board showed good video output with no flicker. 

But, the rest always showed flickering problem with different level of flickering. 

Also for the good DE2 board, if I execute some light software with the derivatives of Video_In, flickering appears. 

In debug mode with the derivative of the DE2_Video_In, the pixel memory written by the UP Video DMA controller sometimes showed incorrect data (all zeros, or just small section of pixel buffer is written for continuous addressing mode). 

The Video_In_Decoder(altera_up_avalon_video_decoder.v) verilog design in UPDS does not use the HSync(TD_HS) and VSync(TD_VS) inputs, but only TD_DATA and TD_CLK27 to .  

I suspect that the reason that the flickering problem depends on a DE2 board is due to the different synchronization per board.  

Is there any one to solve this flickering problem? Your experience would be very helpful to me.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just a suggestion... 

Did you connect all video input boards together in parallel, without an input video buffer distributor ? 

If you did it, I can see how the video signal is in degrade. 

Cheers. 

Alberto.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am getting a pink color frames... and rotating video.... with DE2_TV...? 

can any one help... 

also i need to know how to configure video ADC ? 

Please reply here or at laukikd @ gmail . com
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi BTXSistemas 

Its an old thread though but I m just wondering if you still have the code for DE2_TV. Please upload if you can...I need one badly 

Thanks 

Mat
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mat, DE2_TV code is in the DE2 CD. Just download it and you'll get. 

Cheers. 

Alberto. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi BTXSistemas 

Its an old thread though but I m just wondering if you still have the code for DE2_TV. Please upload if you can...I need one badly 

Thanks 

Mat 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, in my case the DE2_TV is working properly, but if i make a little change 5 little vertical lines appear in the screen over the image 

:(
0 Kudos