Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

EPC1 with UP2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can i load a configuration program onto EPC1PI8 (EPC1) by using the UP2 board (ie.byteblaster 2), or do I need someother hardware to program EPC1PI8 (EPC1).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had to dig rather deep to find a documentation... 

Actually, UP2 doesn't provide on board programming of an EPC1 device. As far as I understood, EPC1 configuration device is an option, that wasn't included with the Dev Kit. 

However you can assemble an adaptor consisting of a DIL8 socket, a JTAG/AS 10p. header and a 5V power supply. A ByteBlaster-II or USB-Blaster is required for AS programming, ByteBlaster or ByteBlaster-MV don't work. Alternatively, other dedcated programmers should be able to program this type of SPI serial flash.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"However you can assemble an adaptor consisting of a DIL8 socket, a JTAG/AS 10p. header and a 5V power supply. A ByteBlaster-II or USB-Blaster is required" 

how do I assemble this adapter? how does the JTAG connect to the DIL8 socket?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not JTAG, it's AS (active serial) programming, dedicated to this device type. The suggestion is to use a similar circuit as for on-board programming of EPC1. The Altera Configuration Handbook has all details.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I looks like it is passive serial to me (See page 1-2 of Configuration Handbook). 

Am I wrong?
0 Kudos