Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

FPGA to HPS Communication wth External Avalon

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Friends, 

I have the Terasic DeE-0 Nano Development board with Cyclone V and ARM Cortex HPS. As a part of my project, I have send some huge amount of data ( in megabytes ) from FPGA to HPS and store it in the SDcard in the HPS system whichis running Linux on it. 

I have used the HPS Component and "External Bus to Avalon Bridge" to connect from FPGA Fabric to SDRAM, so that I can send the data through the exported external interface. Now, the problem is I am getting an error with memory range. The screenshot is attached. 

These are the Qsys messages and the first line is the error message. 

Error: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_SDRAM.avalon_master: HPS_Host.f2h_sdram0_data (0x0..0xffffffff) is outside the master's address range (0x0..0x3fffffff) Warning: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: "Configuration/HPS-to-FPGA user 0 clock frequency" (desired_cfg_clk_mhz) requested 100.0 MHz, but only achieved 97.368421 MHz Warning: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: 1 or more output clock frequencies cannot be achieved precisely, consider revising desired output clock frequencies. Warning: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: ODT is disabled. Enabling ODT (Mode Register 1) may improve signal integrity Warning: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: set_interface_assignment: Interface "hps_io" does not exist Info: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: HPS Main PLL counter settings: n = 0 m = 73 Info: FPGA2SDRAMAVEXBRIDGE.HPS_Host: HPS peripherial PLL counter settings: n = 0 m = 39 

This is the problem. Does somebody have an idea how to resolve it ?. Or if can suggest me some other way it would be greatly appreciated. 

I am parallelelly trying a DMA , but the above solution would be more convenient for me.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Uploaded a clear screen shot.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Let read error message again and try to understand it. Your HPS_SDRAM's Avalon master's address width is 30 bits ( to address 0x0 to 0x3FFF_FFFF, 30 bits are required. ) while avalon slave to which you are trying to connect your master requires 32 bits ( to address 0x0 to 0xFFFF_FFFF, 32 bits are required.) Hence this error message is reported. One possible way to solve this is to increase address width for your avalon master. Double click on your HPS_SDRAM component and see whether it is possible to increase its address width.  

Thank you, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Bhaumik, 

I tried that option in the Qsys. Unfortunately the maximum achievable address using the Avalon master is 2^30. I wonder how th Qsys allows the connection between these component. Do you suggest anything else? 

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Then could you check whether you have configured your slave component correctly or not? Does it really need 32 bit address width? 

Warm Regards, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Yes, the the f2h_sdram_data is the Avalon slave. I connected the Avalon_master of the bridge to this slave port. I am able to connect, but only problem is the memory mismatch. 

Could you please tell what do you mean by "Does it really need 32 bit address width" ? 

Do you mean the slave requires the 32 bit address width ? if so, no the maximum can be configured is 29 bits. 

But even though, how will I connect these two ports. Is there any documents tutorials for this ? I could not find anything which shows Qsys configuration,unfortunately. 

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

From following ( http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=941&partno=2 ), I came to know that board which you are using has 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM memory. Now, to represent this memory, we do not need 32 bit address width. ( It's data bus is of 32 bits.) I just want you to see how you have selected Address width for your f2g_sdram_data. Is it really configured for 1GB memory or something else? 

Kind Regards, 

Bhaumik
0 Kudos