Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Flash Memory and SRAM data pin assignment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm having problem in assigning pins in using flash memory and SRAM. In my sopc, I'm using one avalon mm tristate bridge to link to the SRAM and Flash. Im not sure where should I assign the data pins for flash memory. The details of SRAM and flash are 

SRAM: 256K x 16bit 

Flash: 4M x 8 bit 

Once I generated the processor and updated it in bdf in quartus, the output from the processor are: 

address_to_the_cfi_flash[21..0] 

chip_select_to_the_static_ram_0[21..0] 

read_n_to_the_cfi_flash 

read_n_to_the_static_ram_0 

select_n_to_the_cfi_flash 

tristate_bridge_address[17..0] 

tristate_bridge_byteenablen[1..0] 

tristate_bridge_data[15..0] 

write_n_to_the_cfi_flash 

write_n_to_the_static_ram_0 

where should I assign the data pins for flash memory and SRAM? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lower 8 bits of tristate_bridge_data to both devices, upper 8 only to the SRAM. Be sure to connect the byteenable signal to the SRAM, as well. 

Cheers, 

- Ura
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have tried to assign the lower 8 bit for both flash and sram, and upper 8 bit assign only to sram. However, I have problem compiling the bdf file. Can you please guide me in resolving this error? Thank you. 

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7027/bdfkm0.th.png (http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bdfkm0.png)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having the same problem with Cyclone III Development Kit. Using 2 tri-state bridges connected to a SSRAM and FLASH. 

I would certainly need a step-by-step guide to do this. I've been fiddling with this for some time now :mad: 

Do I specify the shared pins in the Pin Planner? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos