Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

HPS Qsys Tutorial

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to build a very simple computer on DE1-SoC. I want to use the ARM processor (HPS) and interface it with 7-segments decoder on the fpga fabric. I am looking for a tutorial to show me how to use the the Qsys to configure the processor and how to instantiate the processor in the top VHDL code. Altera provided very good tutorial for Nios II , but I can't find any similar tutorial for ARM (HPS). 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hopefully this video will help... 

https://youtu.be/8behnpg8ivm
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you sunshine, The video use generate the processor but does not show the instantiation. I hope there is a tutorial similar to "Introduction to the Altera 

Qsys System Integration Tool". This Tutorial generate NiosII processor, instantiate it and use Altera Monitor Program to load application software. I hope Altera produced similar tutorial for the HPS processor. Thanks again
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also notice that in Terasic's download for DE1-SoC, there is a document named "My first HPS-FPGA" along with a design example that goes with it. Even though it is not the same as the tutorial you mentioned previously (also, it is not using the Altera Monitor Program) it has the steps (and screenshots) for Qsys that hopefully useful for you.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, I got it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, in case you still require assistance, I'd also recommend this video, I found it pleasant to watch and informative: 

http://bit.ly/2fcy1ci 

If you want to use the HEX displays rather then the LED, you'll need to make a few adjustments: 

1. Add a number of PIO's in QSYS, corresponding to the number of HEX displays you wish to use 

2. Set the data width of each PIO to 7  

3. Export the external connections of your HEX components 

4. In the design files, signals and outputs associated with the PIO's should be declared accordingly (for example std_logic_vector(6 downto 0)' if you're using VHDL) 

5. Adjust the C code accordingly by declaring pointers to your HEX PIO's and using the right offsets (remember you have 7-bit registers) 

Lastly, a few pieces of advice, to avoid some errors (which I experienced): 

- You can only execute the TCL scripts after running Analysis and Synthesis 

- Use tab characters for indentation in the Makefile
0 Kudos