Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
1080 Discussions

Help! Simulation Vector Output Issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gurus for this forum,  

I'm a student doing an ASICS and FPGA module at college in the UK and one of my tasks is to build a device using the drag and drop method, no vhdl allowed :( and if im honest, im not that confident using the quartus tools yet, so no doubt this is a newbie question. 

The device is a simple alarm clock and to be designed with typical ASM methods, the project was going well until now when im trying to test the control logic. 

Im finding that a few of my vector outputs are showing the hashed pattern symbolising 'forced unknown'. The first instance occurs with a simple SR register in that on setting (1 clock pulse on s) the q will go high one clock later but then one clock after that (1 clock after s goes low again) Q shows the forced unknown pattern, which makes other dependant logic signals forced unknown when their conditions are met for the remainder of the simulation waveform file. 

I have tested the SR register independently and a single independent SR Flip-Flop , and it is behaving the same when signalled with the same pulse width via a vectored input pin. ie. appears high for the pulse width (1 clock skew) and then forced unknown there after. 

Could this be a design error? or caused by Quartus a setting? can anyone advise? 

thanks for your time. 

# Luke
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Could this be a design error? 

--- Quote End ---  

It sounds like.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then why does the problem manifest with a simple quarts library part too?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Made a new project and copied the file, renamed it and its now working fine. 

WTF 

Thanks anyway guys
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the top way is the best way to try it ! 

good luck!