Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

LCD problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

I try to use LCD 16x2 on my board. I added LCD module in Qsys. 

Quartus compilation says about these errors: 

Error: Node instance "Char_LCD_Comm" instantiates undefined entity "altera_up_character_lcd_communication" Error: Node instance "Char_LCD_Init" instantiates undefined entity "altera_up_character_lcd_initialization"I tried add Verilog files (that are in ..\University_Program\components\altera_up_avalon_character_lcd\hdl) to project but it doesn't help. What I'm doing wrong? 

May you explain how to correctly add IP Cores library? 

Attach image of my bdf-file.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,hatter ,where are you from?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a same problam with my character lcd IP.I used Qsys to add the IP but when I start to analysis ans synt. it gives me two error as shown below: 

Error (12006): Node instance "Char_LCD_Comm" instantiates undefined entity "altera_up_character_lcd_communication" 

Error (12006): Node instance "Char_LCD_Init" instantiates undefined entity "altera_up_character_lcd_initialization" 

if anybody knows how it should be solved please notice. 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Farshid and hatter, 

The way Quartus generates HDL for the IP cores changed between SOPC builder and Qsys. I'd recommend running the 12.0 version of the University Program Installer, as the IP cores were updated for Qsys generation in that version. 

That should resolve this issue.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tank you dear wilcroft, 

I finally found the problem.there was a Charecter lcd in the QSYS and when I installed the Universities Program, It does not able to fit with program and default paths.these arror caused by libraries path.I add the library of Char lcd from " Propertice\libraries\" and manually add the char lcd file to project.the file are exsist in install directory of program \ IP \University Program\Video\Charecter LCD.after adding the files you can enjoy the design ;)
0 Kudos