Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises

Microphone input

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to store an input sound wave on the DE2 board as a digital signal that I can analyze and make calculations with. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you notice the DE2 demonstration projects dealing with sound input?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

I did notice that there was a tutorial "karaoke machine" but it looks like this simply takes the input from the mic in and sends it to the line out.  

Do you know where I can find other sound input tutorials that deal with what I'm trying to do? Again, I'm trying to store the digital fingerprint of an input sound wave for signal analysis. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A basic building block for your design is the audio codec interface, it can be copied from the DE-2 demonstrations. You can process the data stream in realtime or store it to embedded or external memory for further processing.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Should I interface between the audio codec and embedded memory directly? What format would be stored if I did it this way? 

One example project had a serial communication interface connected to the UART, which was added to the Nios II processor via the Avalon bus 

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the comments.
0 Kudos