Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS II stuck in reset

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem which I feel may be down to a stupid mistake on my part, but I just can't find it so here I am. 

I've just received a DE1-SoC board and I wanted to design the simplest, smallest NIOS system I could (using only on-chip memory for code and data, and a single PIO for I/O). I've used a DE1 board a couple of years ago and I knew how to do that back with Quartus 9.1 so I dug out my old notes and did exactly what I used to do, but with Qsys instead of SoPC Builder : 

- I created a system with a NIOS II/e core, on-chip ROM for code, on-chip RAM for data, one PIO 

- I made all the connections that needed to be made and exported the PIO I/O 

- I generated the system, instanced it the block diagram for my project's top-level entity, assigned the pins, etc... 

- I ended up with a *.sof file 

- I wrote a few lines of C code in a file (a main function that writes to the PIO) 

- I launched the Altera Monitor, created a new project, pointed it to my Qsys file, SOF file and C source file 

- I used the monitor to configure the board, compile and load the code 

Up to that point, everything went like a charm, the few LED I had programmed as status indicators came up, and I was ready to start executing my code. So I hit the "play" button in the monitor... 

And nothing happened. 

I hit the pause button and found out I was still at address zero (my reset vector). If I hit the step button, I still remain at address zero. If I double click anywhere in the disassembly window and hit the step button, I immediately go back to address zero. 

Basically, my system is showing all the symptoms of a stuck reset. 

I went back to Qsys, thinking I had probably misconnected the reset signal, and even tried several variations on the theme of bringing a reset signal to the NIOS core, but to no avail : I can't get my NIOS core to execute a single instruction. 

Do you have any idea what I might have done wrong ? I've went through every dialog box I could find and saw no option that would help me, and the tutorials haven't proved helpful either. 

As princess Leia would say, you're my only hope, guys. 

Jean
0 Kudos
0 Replies