Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Need help in UART!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! 

I'm currently trying to use Serial port of DE1 cyclone 2education kit. With the nios system i generated i succesfully send and recieve data from my pc's usb port(i used usb to serial converter to connect rs232 socket something like this :) http://www.coolgear.com/images/usbg-4.jpg ). Anyway i send and recieved data from the usb port(i wrote a veery easy and basic serial port code in c# thanks to my friend ozan :) ) Now i try to use a bluetooth module which is using uart to communicate. This bluetooth module is a little problematic. It requires "max"3.3 or 3.6 V inputs for each its inputs-expect gnd.( rx,tx,vcc, etc(total 6 inputs) ). As i know Max232's outputs are aproximately 12-15v(i hope i'm not wrong ;) ) 

Thus i can't use the rs232 connector. My problem starts here. 

I think i should use the GPIO pins. I tried them too. I assinged some of GPIO pins to UART tx and rx. When i program my board, the TX and RX leds(between rs232 and vga connectors)are constatnly on. I open nios and build a project which sends some data from TX pin i assigned. When i tried to run it on my board it gives; 

Downloading xxx ( 0%) 

Downloading xxx (xx%) 

Downloaded xxKB in xxs 

Verifying xx ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0x0000 and 0xE8xx (i can't remember xs. They usually change every time i try another nios project with same system ) 

Leaving target processor paused 

Then i thought that this error occured because i tried to use wrong pins. I regenerate my system with 2 uart components. One assigned to sefault UART pins the others assinged to my GPIO pins. Then i had the same error. At the end i tried a very simple hello world sample. And same error again.  

I don't understand the cause. As you can understand my -even longer- story, i did some reverse-engineering :p . I can't succeed though. I think my problem occures because some memory problem. I use SRAM controller(which cames with university ip core libraries). 

I have to control a device via bluetooth modules remotely. And i only have these modules i explained above. Thus, i need help  

*extra question: I should have asked this early in the text but can i assing any pins to any module ? Like this problem, can i assign different pins to uart module? Thank you for your answer. 

Thanks for your help at this very moment. Again any help would be great. 

Sincerely  

-srht
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I posted this thread to wrong place. I apologize for my mistake. (Butmy question contains these topics: Quartus system generation and assignments, Nios uart codes, University program IP core components(such as SRAM). I'm a little confused so again i'm sory). I'm waiting for your answer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems i found a solution. Actually this problem is caused by my carelessness. Luckily ,I solved it and i can use every gpio pins as tx or rx. Now my problem is how to use that blue tooth module :D . Nobody answered, but thank you anyway

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad you got your problem sorted! 

Often the (sometimes painful) process of self-discovering a solution is the key to developing experience - have been there and done that more than a few times. :) Gives you a good feeling when you know you sorted it yourself too!