Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Problem with DE2 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just got a new DE2 FPGA board and started with some very simple examples to get familier with the board and Nios II IDE. 

First I started with SOPC Builder (Introduction to the Altera SOPC Builder Using Verilog Design). I followed each and every step and at the end I got the following error message in Altera Debug Client 

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-g++: command not found 

ELF generated at C:\sopc_builder_tutorial\app_software\lights.elf. 

nios2-elf-objcopy -O srec C:/sopc_builder_tutorial/app_software/lights.elf C:/sopc_builder_tutorial/app_software/lights.srec  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-objcopy: command not found 

I repeated the project probably 5 times and got the same error message again and again. Any idea what that error message is for? 

I started Nios II Hardware Development tutorial. I again followed the exact steps and at the end I got the following error message:  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

I saw some good tips on http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t7311.html but did not help me much. Is this a problem with my DE2 board? I am using Quartus II 7.2sp1 and NIOS II 7.2. 

I would really appreciate your help.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try the latest version of the Altera Debug Client, now called the Altera Monitor Prorgam. 

altera monitor program setup zip file (ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_monitor_program/altera_monitor_program_setup.zip

Did you install all the other Altera Tools? 

• Quartus II 

• Nios II IDE 

• IP Megacores 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Blair for your reply. 

Yes I have all the required tools.  

I installed the latest debug client but did not help. 

Fransisco
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible for you to Archive your Quartus II Project, and post it here? Please include all .c & .h files for your software. 

Thanks, 

Blair 

To archive you project in Quartus II, open the project and click the menu Project > Archive Project ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the board is working now. There was a problem in one of the pin configuration which was creating the problem. 

Thank you Blair.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear fransisco123. 

I have a new DE2. I had a problem with DE2.  

I had repaired my problem. Use can try by my solution.  

The DE2 using power 9V. But use try using the power 7.5V (using for DE1). I have used this solution and now my KIT DE2 do well. 

good luck for you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am also getting the same kind of error. 

/usr/bin/bash: c:/altera/quartus: No such file or directory 

/usr/bib/bash:nios2-elf-objcopy: command not found 

I have the latest version of NIOS II and Quaruts. The version is 7.2. I was actually trying out a very basic problem from the SOPC manual (LEDs and Switches) but in the last step of compiling th software I got the above error. If anyone could help me fix the error, it will be great.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

:confused:

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hai... 

can someone explain to me what this zip file for?i've headache reading so many references..but thanks to that references...i got many info or knowledge... 

altera monitor program setup zip file (ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_monitor_program/altera_monitor_program_setup.zip)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hai... 

can someone explain to me what this zip file for?i've headache reading so many references..but thanks to that references...i got many info or knowledge... 

altera monitor program setup zip file (ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_monitor_program/altera_monitor_program_setup.zip

--- Quote End ---  

know already:p  

my project make me sick..:eek:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have got problems with DE 2.  

I am very new to FPGA. I am using Windows 10, I could not install USB blaster driver. I have no idea what to proceed.  

Is that anything related to OS ? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos