Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Problem with Printf

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ve written a simple C-program running on Nios with output on JTAG-Uart Console. 

Why if the surce code is 

int m; 

m=9; 

printf("%d",m); 

everthing works perfectly while if the source code is modified in: 

int m; 

m=10; 

printf("%d",m); 

it does not work anymore ???
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

moreover 

please note that this strange behaviour occours using Nios II(e),  

while using Nios II(s) everithing works well.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, telle us more information 

for your 1st problem, 

What did you get ? "9" on nios2-terminal instead of 10 ? if so, clean and rebuild your nios project. 

Maybe the new soft was not correctly downloaded, did you get errors ? 

For your 2nd problem, 

When you chose Nios II/e (=economic version), do you regenerate the Qsys, recompile the design, redownload to FPGA, do you rebuild the BSP, do you recompile the soft ? 

regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your answer 

The code is exactly what I write ! 

If I ask "printf" to write a integer number (%d) with a single digit it works correctly, 

otherwise (just changing the 9 in 10) the program restart from the begin in a infinite loop. 

Actually I've similar problem also using the multiplier (*) operator: sometimes it work but with few marginal  

changing in the code, the execution restart from the beginning in an infinite loop. 

However I noticed that this problem is limited to the usage of Nios II-e, while just changing the processor to Nios II-s and with no other modification 

both the "printf" and the "multiplier" works correctly. 

> When you chose Nios II/e (=economic version), do you regenerate the Qsys, recompile the design, redownload to FPGA, do you rebuild the BSP, do you recompile the soft ? 

Of course !
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could be stack overflow