Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Problems installing Altera Monitor Program with NIOS II EDS 10.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have problems installing the Monitor Program with NiosII EDS 10. When running the installation file, it exits immediately saying it needs NiosII to install... Will this be fixed soon, or do I have to use an old version of NiosII EDS for now? I'm dissapointed that the new version only supports programming the Flash memory.. (or have I missed something? :-)) 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey I have the same problem... 

I hope this can be fixed soon... Or we can find out a way to install it "manually" by extracting the files from the installation package.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK. Someone figured out in the other thread. Just create an environment variable. I could not post link so I just quoted from the guy. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The variable is called SOPC_KIT_NIOS2 and it should point to “c:\altera\10.0\nios2eds” or whatever the nios2eds directory is. 

--- Quote End ---  

It works!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you!! Didn't see that other thread before. It works :-)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I Have installed Quartus 10 with NIOS 10. Later I tried without success to install the Monitor Program (On the Altera site there is only an installer for Quartus 9.1). 

It complains that it cannot find Quartus.exe at \bin 

Can somebody help me? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to check if the environment variable QUARTUS_ROOTDIR points to where quartus is installed, default is c:\altera\10.0\quartus. 

Hope it helps :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now that I have these variables set: 

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR: c:\altera\10.0\quartus 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2: C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds 

It complains that it needs a Quartus version 9.0 or later. The message is: Altera University Program Design suite requires (Version 4.2) Quartus II version 9.0 or later. 

I am using the installer: altera_upds_setup_vhdl
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hm. It worked for me after setting those variables.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry to bring you back to this old quote, however I have tried adding the env. variable and get the same comment. What is supposed to be in the directory that is pointed to by the environment variable? (is it just where the monitor gets loaded or is it to have the nios files?) /thank you/ wayne 

--- Quote Start ---  

OK. Someone figured out in the other thread. Just create an environment variable. I could not post link so I just quoted from the guy. 

It works! 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Note: To install the University Program Design Suite with Quartus II v10.0, you will need to add the environment variable “SOPC_KIT_NIOS2”. It should point to the nios2eds directory (for example: “c:\altera\10.0\nios2eds”). 

i am new and have to use quartus to design a PLC for my final project. 

please guide me how to set the environment variable and what is it? 

thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In windows 7, press win+pause to enter system information. Press Advanced system settings -> Environment variables and look for "SOPC_KIT_NIOS2" in the System variables list. If it doesnt exist, create it by hitting "new". If the path is not correct, edit it by pressing "edit" :) 

I'm not sure, but I would guess you have to type "export SOPC_KIT_NIOS2="path/to/nioseds"" in system terminal if you're using Linux. 

wmlouds : it should point to where nios eds is installed 

Hope it helps :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

no wonder i could not find the environment variable setting in quartus. 

thank you for your guide, finally i done my installation of altera monitor program.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

see the altera univesity program tutorial inctroduce the altera Monitor Program.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello i would like to know if you have already solved the problem quoted here because i have got it too : 

--- Quote Start ---  

Now that I have these variables set: 

QUARTUS_ROOTDIR: c:\altera\10.0\quartus 

SOPC_KIT_NIOS2: C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds 

It complains that it needs a Quartus version 9.0 or later. The message is: Altera University Program Design suite requires (Version 4.2) Quartus II version 9.0 or later. 

I am using the installer: altera_upds_setup_vhdl 

--- Quote End ---  

I use Quartus 10.0 sp1 in C:\altera\10.0sp1\... 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, i tried on another computer with the same design suite : 10.0sp1. I reinstalled quartusII web, niosII EDS, modelsim altera 6.5e. Then I updated the env variables. And i installed succesfully the university program. 

But back to my first computer (with 10.0sp1 too), it always complains with this message : 

Altera University Program Design suite requires (Version 4.2) Quartus II version 9.0 or later. 

If I don't want to reinstall the complete design suite. Maybe there is a hidden file or a stange environment variable stating the version of quartus currently installed in the computer. 

I am using vista and altera_upds_setup_verilog
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have fully reinstall quartus modelsim nios2eds and university program UP and now it works...

0 Kudos