Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

Signal input of Intel Altera DE2 and DE2-115 board, what is the minimum pulse duration for the board to detect the pulse?

QDang5
Beginner

We are trying to count photons and coincident count using FPGA Altera DE2 board. We are going to send signal from single photon detectors to the Altera board. The detector with its time jitters will give out a sub-ns pulse.

Will these two models capable of detecting a voltage pulse with duration of ~1ns?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

I presume you have an external equipment (single photon detectors) connected to Altera DE2 board where you plan to use FPGA to sample and process the data transmission accordingly

Your transmitted data pulse is 1ns (which is 1G data rate). 1G data rate transfer can only be sampled/captured using transceiver pins on Cyclone IV FPGA, and not via normal GPIO pins    

So, as long as you can connect your equipment data transfer to Cyclone IV FPGA transceiver pins via the Altera DE2 board accordingly, write your FPGA design logic to detect and process the data transfer then this is doable.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

I have not hear back from you for 1 month plus.

Hopefully you are making progress on your project development.

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Feel free to post new forum thread if you still have new enquiry in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos