Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

UPDS v11.0 Altera Monitor Program Tutorial Compilation Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to complete the Altera Monitor Tutorial which is included with Altera Monitor Program (UPDS v.11.0) for Quartus II ver 11.0. When I try to "compile and load" the project as instructed in the tutorial I receive the following errors: 

compiling source files... 

nios2-elf-as --gstabs -i c:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc -i c:/monitor_tutorial c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-as: command not found 

linking... 

nios2-elf-ld --defsym nasys_program_mem=0x0 --defsym nasys_data_mem=0x0 --section-start .exceptions=0x20 --section-start .reset=0x0 -e _start -u _start --script c:/altera/11.0/quartus/../university_program/monitor_program/build/nios_as_build.ld -g -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.elf c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-ld: command not found 

compilation stopped. 

If I run the above commands in the NIOS II Command Shell, the program compiles and runs without any issue. 

Is there something I can do to make the Altera Monitor Program perform as intended or is there something inherently broken with this version of the Altera Monitor Program? I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I'm running Quartus and the Altera Monitor Program on Windows XP Pro SP3.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm trying to complete the Altera Monitor Tutorial which is included with Altera Monitor Program (UPDS v.11.0) for Quartus II ver 11.0. When I try to "compile and load" the project as instructed in the tutorial I receive the following errors: 

compiling source files... 

nios2-elf-as --gstabs -i c:/altera/11.0/nios2eds/components/altera_nios2/sdk/inc -i c:/monitor_tutorial c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-as: command not found 

linking... 

nios2-elf-ld --defsym nasys_program_mem=0x0 --defsym nasys_data_mem=0x0 --section-start .exceptions=0x20 --section-start .reset=0x0 -e _start -u _start --script c:/altera/11.0/quartus/../university_program/monitor_program/build/nios_as_build.ld -g -o c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.elf c:/monitor_tutorial/getting_started.s.o  

/usr/bin/bash: nios2-elf-ld: command not found 

compilation stopped. 

If I run the above commands in the NIOS II Command Shell, the program compiles and runs without any issue. 

Is there something I can do to make the Altera Monitor Program perform as intended or is there something inherently broken with this version of the Altera Monitor Program? I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I'm running Quartus and the Altera Monitor Program on Windows XP Pro SP3. 

--- Quote End ---  

I've exactly the same problem since I moved to Quartus II version 11. I reinstalled the University package e tried to mix up with the path variable, but I couldn't fix the problem. Any suggestion? 

Thanks for your cooperation, 

fb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to eliminate the assembly compilation error by adding "C:\altera\11.0\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin" and "C:\altera\11.0\nios2eds\bin" to the Windows PATH environment variable. 

However, after resolving this issue, I hit another impasse while working through the Altera Monitor Program Tutorial. I tried to compile a C program and found that Monitor tried to pass a compiler flag that GCC4 no longer supports. I was not able to resolve this issue. 

I contacted Altera Support concerning the nios2-elf-as issue and their reply was "apparently, nios2-elf-as is using Nios II GCC3 version which is not available in the current GCC4". This is simply untrue. I can execute nios2-elf-as with only GCC4 installed if I do so from the command-line. 

Altera support's solution to the nios2-elf-as issue was to install the Nios II legacy tool located here: 

https://www.altera.com/download/software/nios-ii 

I was trying to avoid installing the Nios II legacy tool, but once I concluded that I could not solve the C compiler issue. I went ahead and did a clean install of Quartus II version 11, Nios II legacy tool, and the Altera UPDS. Turns out installing the Nios II legacy tool did indeed solve the nios2-elf-as issue (although not for the reason Altera gave) and successfully compiled the C program. 

I would have liked to avoid installing the Nios II legacy tool, but I must admit that the coexistence of GCC3 and GCC4 works better than I expected.
0 Kudos