Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

control_panel for DE2_70

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone here had any problem using the DE2_70_control_panel.exe, file came with the DE2_70 dev. board? I am using Quartus II 10.0 web version and 

Nios II EDS 10. Whenever I try to launch the DE2_70_control_panel.exe, as instructed in chapter 3 of the users manual, the following error message pops up: "The program can't start because jtag_client.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." 

"Load DLL (TERASIC_JTAG_DRIVE.dll) fail" 

"Fail to connect to FPGA board" 

I 'm not sure what these are about, but I know I was able to download the provided sof file to the FPGA via USB-blaster. 

Can anyone show me how to correct this problem? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In fact, I do not have a solution for your problem. but I have some problem in downloading the .sof file. when I click on the buttom "Download Code" it gives me the message "Make sure that Quartus software is installed on your PC"... I have QuartusII 9.1 installed.... 

any help? 

Best,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After a whole lot of digging I was able to figure out what the problem was. I had to do two things: 

1) Copy over jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll from "QUARTUS_ROOT_DIR\quartus\bin" to the Control Panel software folder. 

2) Add the following two directories to my windows system PATH variable: 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin 

C:\altera\10.0\nios2eds\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin 

Step 1 was courtesy of Terasic's tech support and has now been added to their technical FAQ webpage. Step 2 I figured out on my own and essentially consisted of having to go through each script and running them all manually until I figured out where they were failing. 

I have no idea why it is that some people have to do this fix and some people don't. Some people have no problems at all. Weird. Just FYI, my system is Windows 7 64-bit running Quartus and NIOS II EDS v10.0. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Pz! 

Jonathon
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I don't understand the step 2 that you mentioned. Can you give more detail how you do it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Copy over jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll from "QUARTUS_ROOT_DIR\quartus\bin" to the Control Panel software folder 

and run DE2_70_control_panel.exe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here are some videos on how to change your PATH variable: 

XP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqk8o5nu4g 

Win 7/Vista: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1kbuamqljy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think path variable are n0t be change

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hasil86, 

I still have the problem after I copy the jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll. So I have to do the second step from jwdonal. I think it depends. Some people already solved the problem by just copy that two things, some people still have problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jwdonal,  

Edit or add new path? system variables or user variables for user?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so robosyah (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/member.php?u=9545

is your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nope....still waiting reply from jwdonal or anyone....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still don't understand how to edit the path variable. How to add or edit both of the directories you mentioned before to the PATH variable? as I see in youtube, its seems that we can only add or edit one directory to the PATH variables.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After a whole lot of digging I was able to figure out what the problem was. I had to do two things: 

1) Copy over jtag_client.dll and dinkum_alt.dll from "QUARTUS_ROOT_DIR\quartus\bin" to the Control Panel software folder. 

Step 1 was courtesy of Terasic's tech support and has now been added to their technical FAQ webpage. Step 2 I figured out on my own and essentially consisted of having to go through each script and running them all manually until I figured out where they were failing. 

I have no idea why it is that some people have to do this fix and some people don't. Some people have no problems at all. Weird. Just FYI, my system is Windows 7 64-bit running Quartus and NIOS II EDS v10.0. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Pz! 

Jonathon 

--- Quote End ---  

After digging until exaustion I finally put Control Panel to work under Quartus and NIOS II EDS v10.1 and Windows 7 x32. 

In my case I needed to follow the two first steps indicated by Jonathon. 

Then, using Quartus II, download the DE2_70_Control_Panel.sof. The last step was using a batch file that comes in the CD NiosDownloadBatch.bat 

Execute the Control Panel. 

Without the system PATH change, the batch file would fail to find the NIOS gdb and some other file ... 

Thanks Jonathon!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just wanted to mention that these steps worked for the DE4 board too. No need to download the .sof before launching the control panel, though. 

Attached you can find how to add a path to the variable, just use a semicolon ; to add a new path to the existent.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks so much, jwdonal. That guide worked perfectly. I was having quite a headache from this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem and I could solve whith your first step. But when I run the Control Panel it shows a massanger "Please make sure Quartus is instaled". Also I can't download any descriptions to the board, everytime I do programing it fails.

0 Kudos