Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1174 Discussions

quartus v 7.2 and apex 20K200E compatibile?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

I found a university program board which is several years old lying around in a lab, APEX 20K200E and would like to use it with the current Quartus version 7.2 web edition. Is this two compatible? I'm new and starting fresh on fpga design and so am trying to avoid problems due to compatibility.  

I did not see it in the list of supported devices on the Quartus web page. The accompanying CD with the Apex 20K200E comes with Quartus version 5. If I want to use this board do I have to install the version 5? Do I need to uninstall version 7.2 then? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I can't say reagarding APEX20 support in web version, but having more than one Quartus version installed is no problem when using different directories, as suggested by the installation defaults. 

However, there are a few details in Quartus project files not downwards compatible through all versions, e. g. in *.stp, *.qsf and *.vwf files. For that reason, you should keep copys of V5 project before overwriting project files with V7.2. 

As far as I know, Quartus software doesn't offer yet a means to create downwards compatible files. This could be done manually, cause all of the rejected files have a readable text format. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If you want to install multiple Quartus versions, just select different install directories. 

Just it!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm not sure if i need to create a new thread but anyway...here's my problem...i have a APEX 20K200E board and i'm using Quartus version 7.2 web edition. But this Quartus version doesn't support this device.  

Any advice? Is there anyway i can get the older version? Then if it's possible, how do i get the license.dat file (for the older version)? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos