Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

What triggers the whole AMI_MASKED_DEVICE_PATH_GUID issue?

David_F_2
Beginner

I'm running in to this issue on my DH77KC testing system using the latest firmware updated today (111) (prior version was 108 from 2013 and did same thing).    A BOOT#### entry is created using hard drive media path followed by the file path media path but on reboot, 99% of the time, the system alters it to be hidden and also inserts a Hardware Device Path of Vendor Specific which has a GUID {e775e299-a075-374b-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb} and termination path.  After that is my original path.

I see it do the same thing to boot items for some linux distros too.  So say BOOT0000 is Fedora, BOOT0001 is Ubuntu, BOOT1723 is my item and added as first in boot order.  Right away my item is altered, the other two are okay and will show up in the BIOS boot order, say they are 0 and 1 in the order.   Now I drag up the generic UEFI boot item for the hard drive to be the first item so the Fedora and Ubuntu items come after it, now reboot and the system has done the same thing to those boot items where it hid them and inserted the vendor specific hardware device path.

I though maybe it didn't like the path for say having the file path all as one, so I tried it with the directory in one node, followed by the file node ("\EFI\MYDIR\" "BOOTX64.EFI").  Still didn't like it, so went crazy and put every element of the path in its own node ("EFI" "MYDIR" "BOOTX64.EFI") and still didn't like it.    These particular boot items have no optional parameters either and I've dumped them and manually looked at everything and they are all valid (and work on other systems).

So my question is, what is triggering this and how do you prevent it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrianRichardson
Employee

Unfortunately the motherboard in question is no longer supported, and it outside the scope of this thread. The behavior you describe seems to be specific to AMI's brand of UEFI firmware (Aptio), so I'm not sure how it operates.

0 Kudos
David_F_2
Beginner

I'll ask them, although they like to say if it's not AMI then we won't even answer a basic question, maybe you guys could ask your contacts?  Thanks.

0 Kudos