Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

32-bit compatibility libraries missing.

sangoh_y_
Beginner

Hi,

I'd like to install intel fortran compiler on my linux (Linux ubuntu 14.0.4. SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

I must install 32-bit fortran compiler. During its installation I got a message written in below.

Could you help me how to intall these libraries ?

YI.

Step no: 4 of 7 | Installation configuration - Missing Critical Pre-requisite
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
32-bit libraries not found on this system.
This product release requires the presence of 32-bit compatibility libraries
when running on Intel(R) 64 architecture systems. One or more of these libraries
could not be found:
    libstdc++
    libstdc++5
    glibc
    libgcc
Without these libraries, the compiler will not function properly.  Please refer
to Release Notes for more information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. See next issue [default]
2. Back to Pre-requisite summary dialog

h. Help
b. Back to the previous menu
q. Quit
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]:

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Sangho Yi:

Can you compile 32-bit a.out-s using gcc or gfortran on your system? If not, correct that problem. Once you have done so, you may try to use the Intel compiler to produce 32-bit a.out-s. If that does not work, you may try reinstalling Parallel Studio/Composer.

I do not know about your specific Linux distribution but, in general, I have found that the steps that I mentioned usually work, even if during installation some dire warnings are issued by the Intel package installer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

According to our information (Using Intel Compilers for Linux with Ubuntu), the 32-bit libraries that are needed were depreciated for Ubuntu 14.0; thus, only the Intel64 compiler would be usable under Ubuntu 14.0.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Sangho Yi:

Can you compile 32-bit a.out-s using gcc or gfortran on your system? If not, correct that problem. Once you have done so, you may try to use the Intel compiler to produce 32-bit a.out-s. If that does not work, you may try reinstalling Parallel Studio/Composer.

I do not know about your specific Linux distribution but, in general, I have found that the steps that I mentioned usually work, even if during installation some dire warnings are issued by the Intel package installer.

0 Kudos
sangoh_y_
Beginner

Thank you mecej4,

The problem was comparability between linux distribution and intel compiler.

Now it is working. 

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Glad to hear you have the compiler working. I'm interesting in understanding more about your situation.

Can you provide more details about what you indicate was the "problem of comparability" or compatibility?
Did you install the 32-bit GNU environment on Ubuntu 14.0.4?
Can you share details about what was required to get our compiler working?

I'd like to update our Ubuntu specific information if things have changed or our information is incorrect. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Kevin, this may be a bit off-topic, but I ran into a similar issue yesterday when reinstalling Parallel Studio on openSuse after a HDD replacement. I had taken my own advice and checked that gcc could compile and link 32-bit executables, but the Parallel Studio installer complained that building 32-bit targets might fail because (i) unsupported OS -- this I have learned to ignore on openSuse -- and (ii) I did not have the 32-bit C++ runtime installed; i.e., having 32-bit C runtime was not enough. Before clicking "Next" in the GUI installer, I used the package manager (Yast) do install the 32-bit C++ runtime, and only then allowed the Parallel Studio installer to continue. That worked.

With another 64-bit Fortran compiler installation (not Intel), I found that the compiler tools were 32-bit a.out-s, even though the compiler was for 64-bit targets only, and that some ELF 32-bit shared libraries were needed for linking.

With Bash on Windows 10 64-bit, there is no support for running 32-bit a.out-s, so all the tools must be 64-bit. I had used that 64-bit compiler package for years on native 64-bit Linux, without even being aware that some of the tools were 32-bit. As a result, many Ubuntu packages fail to work in Bash/Ubuntu on Windows, and some users may not note the real reason for the failure. 

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you mecej4. I appreciate that information. It sounds like the OP was able to do something similar as you. If so, I want to make sure we get our information corrected.

0 Kudos