Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

A host of related issues in Visual Studio 2012 and Intel Visual Fortran 2013

awa5114
Beginner

I am experiencing a host of issues in my Microsoft Visual Studio 2012/Intel Fortran Compiler 2013 installation. The issues are as follows:

ISSUES

1) Initial Installation of Visual Studio 2012: At the very end of the Visual Studio 2012 installation, I get the following error: 

"Please correct the following problems to ensure full product functionality.
    Microsoft Windows Operating System: The event log file is full"

2) Compatibility of Visual Studio 2012 with my Windows 7 machine: When I run Visual studio from the main application icon, I get the following warning:

"This program has known compatibility issues" 

3) Command Prompt Error: I am getting 
    "ERROR: Cannot determine the location of the VS Common Tools Folder" 
in the following command prompts:

VISUAL STUDIO 2012

i) VS2012 x86 Native Tools Command Prompt
    ii) VS2012x64 Cross Tools command Prompt
    iii) VS2012 ARM Cross Tools Command Prompt
    iv) VS2012x64 Native Tools Command Prompt
    v) Developer Command Prompt for VS 2012

INTEL FORTRAN 2013

vi) Intel Composer XE 2013 Intel(R) 64 Visual Studio 2012
    vii) Intel Composer XE 2013 IA-32 Visual Studio 2012

ie, all of them. Here is an example, the error is identical for all abovementioned command prompts.

4) ifort command error: When attempting to use the ifort compiler according to a tutorial video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0gTgIPXRU) through any of the command prompts mentioned in issue 3) above, I get the following error: 
    "ifort: error #10037: could not find 'link'"

SOLUTIONS ATTEMPTED

1) 
    i) removed all information in the %ProgramData%\Package Cache as explained in a popular MSDN blog page (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mandi/2013/08/21/visual-studio-2012-the-event-log-file-is-full-error-message/)
    ii) Checked the event log. The event log showed a warning regarding Windows 7 compatibility, which makes me think issues 1) and 2) are related.

2) 
    i) Applied latest Visual Studio 2012 update (update 5) and using administrator privileges
    ii) re-installed Visual Studio 2012 with administrator privileges
    iii) repaired Visual Studio 2012 with administrator privileges

3) 
    i) Added "C:\Windows\System32" to the PATH environment variables for Windows 7 as explained in a popular video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YhhAItgb0).

4) 
    i) Attemped a variety of fixes as shown in my StackExchange post (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42736589/running-simple-fortran-programs-using-intel-visual-fortran-microsoft-visual-st#comment72606504_42736589)

COMMENTARY

None of these solutions worked and all of issues 1 through 4 persist. Furthermore, I have been offered a completely new replacement machine as my current one is being formatted (precisely to try to tackle this issue). To my amazement, installing Visual Studio 2012 and Intel Fortran Compiler 2013 on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MACHINE reproduces ALL of the issues 1) through 4) noted above! 

It may also be good to note that I can run Visual Studio 2012 despite the compatibility issues, however I am experiencing issues when I debug using the Step Into command. The program completely freezes and stops responding, in which case I have to restart everything. This is a seperate issue but I have a strong feeling the root cause is related to issues 1) through 4) above. In any case, I should not be having these problems since this is a completely new and genuine version of Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and Intel Fortran processor. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or what the root cause of all this may be. Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The YouTube video information created problems. Remove what you added to PATH - that folder should already be there and Windows would not function properly if it wasn't/ If you included the quotes when you added it, this causes your problems 3 and 4.

That you're getting compatibility warnings from Windows 7 about VS2012 is very strange - I never saw that with Windows 7 before. That message about the event log being full is also interesting - see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mandi/2013/08/21/visual-studio-2012-the-event-log-file-is-full-error-message/ for the solution to that.

0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner
Regarding your first comment on the "C:\Windows\System32" addition to the PATH environment variables in Windows. I have tried 1) including it and running the prompts 2) not including it and running the prompts Of course all without the quotes... basic stuff. None of which worked. Regarding your second comment. I would like to quote the original question: "SOLUTIONS ATTEMPTED 1) i) removed all information in the %ProgramData%\Package Cache as explained in a popular MSDN blog page (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mandi/2013/08/21/visual-studio-2012-the...)" Then I would like to quote your response : "...interesting - see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mandi/2013/08/21/visual-studio-2012-the. for the solution to that." Please note you are proposing the exact same link that I already showed in the original question I would appreciate if the questions were actually read before a response is provided.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I've experienced issues like this when the total size of the environment variables exceed an internal limit. Thus causing missing or truncated variables.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I did read your questions but did not notice you had provided the same link.  You still told us that you added "C:\Windows\System32" to PATH and I told you that was not a correct thing to do and to remove what you had put in there.

Please do this: From the start menu, search for cmd.exe and run it when it is displayed. Set default (cd) to your desktop or another writable folder and type:

set path > path.txt

Attach path.txt to a reply here so that we can look at it.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You may also need to

Start | All Programs | Intel Parallel Studio (your version here) | Compilers and Performance Libraries | Command Prompt with Intel Compiler Vnn | Intel 64 ...

(your click path may vary slightly)

Then issue:

set path > pathIntel.txt

Attach that the reply here too.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner

All,

Please find attached the text files requested. Thanks.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

It looks like Microsoft Visual Studio is not (properly) installed. On my system, PATH (edited for visibility of forum):

Path=
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\bin\intel64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow;
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\amd64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\BIN\amd64;
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\VCPackages;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Tools;
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTML Help Workshop;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools\x64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x86;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\x64\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\mpi\intel64\bin\..\..\intel64\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\ipp\..\redist\intel64\ipp;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64\mkl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\tbb\bin\..\..\redist\intel64\tbb\vc12;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64_win\daal;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\redist\intel64_win\tbb\vc_mt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\itac_2017\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\itac_2017\dll;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\mpi\intel64\bin\..\..\intel64\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Advisor 2017\bin32;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\VTune Amplifier XE 2017\bin64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Inspector 2017\bin32;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2017.0.109\windows\mpi\intel64\bin;
C:\Program Files\Python35\Scripts\;
C:\Program Files\Python35\;
C:\Python34\;
C:\Python34\Scripts;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\mpirt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\mpirt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64_win\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32_win\compiler;
C:\Software\Octave-3.6.4\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Qucs\bin;
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Trace Analyzer and Collector\9.0.2.045\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\MPI\5.0.2.044\intel64\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\mpirt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\mpirt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler;
C:\Windows\system32;
C:\Windows;
C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;
c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\lib.x64;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLAB C32 Suite\bin;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\mingw32\bin;
c:\iverilog\bin;
c:\iverilog\gtkwave\bin;
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Utilities 1.6\;
C:\Program Files\MySQL\Connector.C++ 1.1\lib\opt\;
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Trace Analyzer and Collector\9.0.2.045\dll
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.PY;.PYW

In your PATH, I do not see any entries for:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\{other folders here}

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
awa5114
Beginner

Hi Jim,

Yes it is true that those paths are completely missing in my system... I have no idea why.

I also noticed there are two path variables in my system environment. These path variables contain almost exactly the same paths except for the last few entries, which differ. Please see the attachment.

To which Path variable should I add the paths you mentioned? (User Variables for Administrator or System Variables?)Thanks...

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The System PATH is a default path for use by all user accounts. The user PATH is per user and is typically a concatenation of the current user additional paths to the system PATH, however the user may also replace part or all of the system path variables. The resulting user PATH is what is use to resolve program locations.

If the system path variable contains the paths to MS VS (and the user PATH does not), then something you installed (in your user account) stripped out the MS VS paths. In this case I suggest you copy each path into text files (to preserve), then delete the user PATH variable. Restart MS VS and see what happens. If this works, then something else on the system may now not work. When you find a failing older app, locate the missing path from your saved (prior) user path and create a user path with

$(PATH);YourMissingPathHere\

The above will append your specific path to the existing system path.

*** If the system path does not contain the paths to MS VS then you need to reinstall MS VS, then reinstall the Intel software.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos