Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

About the integration with Visual Studio 2019

yxd__yxd
Beginner

Hi,

Do you have a plan to integrate the Parallel Studio with Visual Studio 2019?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
46 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I don't speak for Intel, but I would expect this to appear at some point. It may not be until the next major release, depending on how much MS changed interfaces between the 2017 and 2019 versions (they like to do this a lot.) It's almost time for the beta of the next version to start - if they do a public beta (typical), look for words in the release notes or announcement about it.

0 Kudos
EQuin2
Beginner

I do not understand how all other products from other companies that I utilize with Visual Studio always are ready for any new Visual Studio version from the get go, such as DevExpress DXperience, Jetbrains ReSharper Ultimate, etc., but never the Intel C++ Compiler.

I have to keep the previous Visual Studio version, whenever a new one is released, until Intel releases a compatible compiler. This is a nuisance and not a desirable thing to do.

Intel could, as do the other companies in the same space, develop a new tools version while the new VS version is being beta tested and release a compatible version very soon after the VS release.

Eduardo Quintana

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I can tell you from experience that Intel does indeed develop during MS betas. I am not familiar with those other products you mention, but it doesn't seem that any are compilers, which have a complex relationship to Visual Studio.

In the past, Intel has been reasonably prompt at releasing updates to work with new VS releases. 

0 Kudos
sylvian_k_
Beginner

Coarrays in 2019 Update4 with VS 2017:

1) WIN32 still not working as in UPDATE3

2) x64 from inside VS 2019, produces an executable with is not able to start

3) x64, produced manually outside VS2017, starts very, very, very slowly on my XEON 1650

0 Kudos
David_Billinghurst
New Contributor III

Regarding "1) WIN32 still not working as in UPDATE3" see the stickied post "Coarrays - Use x64 64bit Configurations ONLY" which states 

32bit application support for Coarrays for Intel Fortran for Windows is deprecated and will be removed in the near future.  There are known bugs with using the Coarray features for 32bit applications on Windows.  Only use x64 configuration.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

VS 2017 and VS 2019 

I always find that it is useful to have both latest versions of VS installed, sometimes one runs into obscure errors and being able to compare the two is great.

Also I found that creating a new FORTRAN program in VS 2017 is much better than the new interface in VS 2019.  Words fail me about VS 2019 and the logon screens.  

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I have installed Update 4 on 3 separate occasions without much success.  I even took a machine in which VS 2017 and 2019 were installed and uninstalled 2017.  I get into VS 2019 and attempt to open the Fortran project and it complains the project is inadmissible.  No update logs, no nothing.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

yes I found the same problem, code will open in VS 2017 and get that error in VS 2019.  You need to recreate the SLN file -- it does not take long, but there is some error in VS 2019 that does not like some old sln files. Interesting problem -- which why I have the two side by side so I can look at the problem. 

If you are installing Windows preview the SDK's that come along can get mismatched between computers and this can cause a problem with some DLL's, had this problem with DISLIN recently 

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

Updates from Microsoft often are not improvements, as far as I'm concerned.  Now we are forced to use W10, but I'd prefer to stick with W7.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

NotThatItMatters wrote:

I have installed Update 4 on 3 separate occasions without much success.  I even took a machine in which VS 2017 and 2019 were installed and uninstalled 2017.  I get into VS 2019 and attempt to open the Fortran project and it complains the project is inadmissible.  No update logs, no nothing.

Inside VS2019 click Help>About MSVS. Do you see "Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019" in the list of installed products?

Under Extensions, do you see Intel Fortran Expression Evaluator ?

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Nichols, John wrote:

yes I found the same problem, code will open in VS 2017 and get that error in VS 2019.  You need to recreate the SLN file -- it does not take long, but there is some error in VS 2019 that does not like some old sln files. Interesting problem -- which why I have the two side by side so I can look at the problem. 

If you are installing Windows preview the SDK's that come along can get mismatched between computers and this can cause a problem with some DLL's, had this problem with DISLIN recently 

What is the version of VS2019?  If possible please submit support ticket for the VS2019+ ifort 19.0.4 integration issues. 

Reloading the project helps sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Devorah:

I uploaded a support ticket as you requested.  I cannot find the method in the latest VS 2019 16.2 Preview 1 to create a Fortran Program from scratch. The language is not listed on the drop down list of languages, I do have the option of creating a Fortran program from existing code, but not a new console program. See screen shot. 

Also you cannot debug or start a Fortran program from within VS 2019 unless a Fortran file is open in the editing screen - sometimes -- it is intermittent. 

I use the latest Windows 10 Preview on this Intel NUC Core 3 - we have NUC3 deployed in remote locations in USA and Europe and the two problems that bedevil us are wifi connections and updating programs.  Some of these locations are very expensive to get to - so being able to update remotely is important as is making sure that an update does not break the system.  We tried several computers for the remote sites, but the NUCs are the most reliable and the simplest, but I would love to talk about our problems to your NUC people .  Our only problem is that one cannot run a NUC3 or PI for instance with LINUX and our sensors that talk over the network and cell phone modems or hot spots, the modem network turns off the sensor or vice versa -- real interesting problem - finally just gave up as the LINUX experts all said easy and it is not. 

We use to use MS SQL Server, but an update once broke all of the computers and our programs and so I switched to MySQL for everything -- the team preferred it for some reason as well -- 

The issue for remote locations is ensuring that the updates do not break the systems - hence testing my main development computer against all latest updates.  

if NUC3 or others are to become as embedded as you would like you need to solve the CELL phone provider link to the NUC problem because it is a complete and absolute pain. if the modem - NUC lose connectivity getting it back is always a visit to site, all our machines reboot remotely and do not fail in some locations, but it always the remote locations in Iowa -- and it is a long way from home. 

PS we use Police grade cell modems. 

John

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

Quote:

NotThatItMatters wrote:

Inside VS2019 click Help>About MSVS. Do you see "Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019" in the list of installed products?

Under Extensions, do you see Intel Fortran Expression Evaluator ?

Well, evidently the nail has been hit on the head.  I will need to install Update 4 AGAIN.  My bad.  I have it installed elsewhere, but MSVS 2019 does not seem to think it is here.  My OS says that Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 -> Compiler 19.0 Update 4 for Intel 64 Visual Studio 2019 environment is installed, but it is not in the MSVS 2019 installation.

I will try to work out the MSDN licensing problems I am having with MSVS.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I found my Product Key for MSVS.  I installed said key.  I now go to MSVS 2019, click on About MSVS and up comes

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019, Version 19.0.0052.16, Copyright © 2002-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Great.

I now open the "old" Fortran Solution.  Everything remains "(incompatible)".

0 Kudos
William_S_2
Beginner

I am a relative novice with Intel Fortran and Microsoft Visual Studio, But I succeded in getting it all operational about two years ago. That computer crashed. I have now spent almost two months trying to install my new version of update 4 Fortran compiler in my new computer but nothing works. I have tried both install in my computer and offline install. I have tried community 2017 and community 2019 visual studio. I am desperate for help.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

NotThatItMatters wrote:

I found my Product Key for MSVS.  I installed said key.  I now go to MSVS 2019, click on About MSVS and up comes

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019, Version 19.0.0052.16, Copyright © 2002-2019 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Great.

I now open the "old" Fortran Solution.  Everything remains "(incompatible)".

What about creating a new Fortran project in VS2019 - are you able to create a new Fortran project?

Try to reload the "old" project - right click on the project - you will see option "reload"

In any case, if you are unable to start a new Fortran project or none of your old solutions open in VS2019, there is still an issue with VS2019 integration. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

To add to my previous message - another thing to check https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers

Try to repair PSXE 2019 installation - run the installer again and select Repair.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Nichols, John wrote:

Devorah:

I uploaded a support ticket as you requested.  I cannot find the method in the latest VS 2019 16.2 Preview 1 to create a Fortran Program from scratch. The language is not listed on the drop down list of languages, I do have the option of creating a Fortran program from existing code, but not a new console program. See screen shot. 

Assuming that your VS2019 is configured correctly with necessary  workload https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers  AND inside VS2019 click Help>About MSVS you see "Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2019" in the list of installed products.

When creating a new Fortran project - ignore the languages list. Just scroll down to the bottom of the New Project templates list and select "Empty Project" (should be third from the bottom of the list)- this will create your new Fortran project and you will be able to add Fortran source files (New or Existing items).

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

William S. wrote:

I am a relative novice with Intel Fortran and Microsoft Visual Studio, But I succeded in getting it all operational about two years ago. That computer crashed. I have now spent almost two months trying to install my new version of update 4 Fortran compiler in my new computer but nothing works. I have tried both install in my computer and offline install. I have tried community 2017 and community 2019 visual studio. I am desperate for help.

Update 4 just came out two weeks ago, not sure how you managed to spend two months "trying to install Update 4" ;-)

In any case, please provide additional information on the issue - are there any error messages during or after installation of Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 4? What are they?

It is important to configure your Visual Studio correctly before running Parallel Studio XE installation.  See https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2019-for-use-with-intel-compilers

0 Kudos