Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Academic licence criteria

ninashev
Beginner

Hello. I want to buy Intel Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for Fortran and C++, named-user. Since I am a scientific researcher at an institute of Academy of science I asked regional resellers (Czech republic) for an academic licence. They answered that I cannot buy an academic licence, but a commercial one. According to them "academic prices can use only degree granting institutions". But as I see at the Intel web pages, degree granting institutions can dowload the Intel software products for free, they do not need to buy an academic licence. So what are the criteria for academic licence and am I entitled to buy it instead of a commercial one?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ron_Green

This is a question for our Startup Support team.  I will move this thread to the appropriate User Forum.

0 Kudos
Zsolt
Beginner

Hi,

Same question: I am an AMO physicist at the Institute for Nuclear Research, and I would like to have an academic licence for Intel Fortran. Up to this point I found two solutions: either I buy it at full price or I downloaded for free. We are a research institute (member of the doctoral school of a university).

Do we qualify for Educators? 

BW, Zsolt

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I'm no longer with Intel, but here is my understanding...

Academic license criteria are largely set by the reseller. Typically, if you are employed by a school (have a .edu or similar email), they'll sell you an academic license. You should check with the reseller to see what they require.

Intel is much more restrictive on free licenses. For educators, it's for classroom use only, not researchers.

Unfortunately, nobody who follows this forum is part of the process of determining eligibility, which is done by the "business side" of the company.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I have a particular type of student that can generally obtain most software without cost. It must be terrible trying to maintain income flow in some countries. 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Please review information for free software on this webpage https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/qualify-for-free-software.html

I think it might be a good fit. https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/qualify-for-free-software.html

Note: Intel Fortran Compiler is part of Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Note: Intel Fortran Compiler is part of Intel oneAPI HPC Toolkit.

It is interesting to install the HPC kit, the base kit has to be installed first, I missed that the first time.  

JMN

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@JohnNichols if you just need a Fortran Compiler, then no need for Base.

0 Kudos
ninashev
Beginner

My solution was to ask all three Czech resellers, whether they will sell me the academic licence. Two of them said "no", one - "yes". And now I am a happy owner of the Intel Parallel Studio. Thank you, Steve_Lionel, for your answer, your understanding (in my case as minimum) is correct. While I don't understand, how and why resellers of the same software in the same country could have different criteria.

0 Kudos