Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 535)

rgeary
Beginner
I have VC++ 2005 Express installed on XP Pro and recently downloaded Intel's C++ Compiler 9.1 with a 30-day trial license expiring 14-Jan-07. I am aware that I can only use Intel's compiler at the command prompt with VC++ Express. However, no matter what cpp file I give it, it gives me the error message:

icl: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 535)

I'm new to programming in general, but I did have success with the same compilerusing VC++ 6.0 shortly before reinstalling XP (for unrelated reasons) and installing VC++ Express instead. I have also successfully used the Linux version of the compiler on the same machine (different partition).

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JenniferJ

Did you run "icl" from the command window created from the menu [start]> ....... >[build environment for IA32 application...]? If not, you should run the [install-dir]compilerC++9.1ia32iniclvars.bat from the command window.

For console program, it should work.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
sabor
Beginner
I faced something similar when dealing with the Itanium compiler...I uninstalled the compiler, installed PSDK 3790 from Microsoft, installed the compilers and after that, everything worked fine.
0 Kudos
rgeary
Beginner

Did you run "icl" from the command window created from the menu [start]> ....... >[build environment for IA32 application...]? If not, you should run the [install-dir]compilerC++9.1ia32iniclvars.bat from the command window.

For console program, it should work.

Jennifer

Unfortunately I hadn't checked for replies in this thread since January 4 and now my evaluation for Windows has expired. I would probably buy a single-machine non-commercial license if I could be certain I could get it to work. I'm enjoying using it in Linux.

0 Kudos
mtraudt
Beginner

sabor:
I faced something similar when dealing with the Itanium compiler...I uninstalled the compiler, installed PSDK 3790 from Microsoft, installed the compilers and after that, everything worked fine.

I had exactly the same error as you, also when building for IA32 only. The problem was that I had not used iclvars.bat to set my environment variables (I use cygwin bash as my primary shell on Windows). When I set all the same environment variables as iclvars.bat, then everything worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
Sudhakar_G_
Beginner

Recently we purchased "Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows".

We are having Microsoft Visual Studio 4.0, Microsoft Visual Studio 8, Microsoft Visual Studio 12, Visual Studio 2017 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 2 Composer Edition for Windows in VIsual Studio 2013 shell on the same system. When trying to build a simple FORTRAN program with a single print statement "Print *, "Hello World" " it is giving the following error,"

ifort: internal error: Assertion failed (shared/driver/drvutils.c, line 670)
Library : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code
"

Please let me know how to resolve this error.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

The last reply should be posted in the Fortran compiler forum - this is the C++ user's forum.

thanks

0 Kudos
Anoop_M_Intel
Employee

I moved this thread to Fortran Forum for expert attention.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

http://blogs.artinsoft.net/Csaborio/archive/2007/01/09/An-Error-with-the-Intel-C++-Compiler-91028.aspx

Also found indication that "drvutils.dll" may be part of a different installed application (or malware). Check to see where  "drvutils.dll" is located. if located in suspicious location, rename it to "drvutilsNOT.dll". Then you may need to reboot your system.

http://www.hivmr.com/db/acxz7sfp9983xxx9a71mm1m8877kcjz9

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/285135?db=5

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

drvutils.c is one of the files that makes up the "ifort.exe" utility; that's the driver program that ultimately invokes the compiler.

What's happening to you is similar to a compiler "internal compiler error"; that is, unexpected code is being invoked, and an assertion is firing.
Alas, I can't tell from the code what is provoking this, so I'm going to ask you some questions.

Are you getting this message inside Visual Studio, or from a command line prompt?

If it's from a command line prompt, could you issue the following command, and post the temp.txt file?  I  would like to see the environment variables that are in play when this happens.
                  set > temp.txt

If it is happening from within Visual Studio, could you post the build.htm file please? 

thanks -

--Lorri

0 Kudos