Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Broken Dr Fortran Link

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

New post: Doctor Fortran in “Military Strength”

The link is broken.  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Fixed - thanks. The correct link is https://stevelionel.com/drfortran/2020/05/16/doctor-fortran-in-military-strength/

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

END DO as the terminal statement of a DO loop. This didn’t add the unlabeled block DO..END DO Fortran 90 would have, but it works with that.

Tahnks I have been meaning to ask why some one wanted this instead of continue.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The goal was to get rid of labeled DO, which happened eventually in the standard (deprecated). DO..END DO is easier to understand. It also eliminates shared loop termination, which almost nobody understood.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

I hate common use of continue statements to end do loops - it is common in old Fortran and can be a pain to eliminate.   But I dislike unnumbered do loops as they can be hard to read across multiple pages

We will never get rid of Old Fortran -- it is like old English -- we will live with it forever.  

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

Well, you can use named loops (and in fact named constructs) as an alternative:

myloop: do i = 1,100

... a few hundred lines of code to do something useful
    enddo &
myloop

To make the end of the loop more visible I have put the label at the end on a new line.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I also find that in many cases where do enddo are a long way apart the code is in need needs of some restructuring with some subprogram units to make it more readable and maintainable

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I encourage the use of labels (the alphanumeric kind).

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

There is a good rule that a piece of code wider than your hand is to long

0 Kudos